Truth Window Crank (Handle) Replacement

A handy person from Polson, Montana says:
Good morning -
One of our Truth window crank handles broke and needs a replacement. I've already removed the crank handle and believe it is marked (casted) as follows on the underbelly of the handle.

45393 Truth US PAT 3614905560082

Our handle is what we would describe as a Bronze with more of a tarnish-gold tint (perhaps taupe?) than what is shown in your pics for a 39-205 replacement part. Otherwise, it looks just like the item shown even down to the rivet/pin inserted in the external sides closest to the base of the handle.

Your color in your swatch menu pics appear so different than the color in your full part pics for the Beige (appears off-white). I've attached a pic of our failed part taken on a background of standard white paper. Can you please confirm the best color for matching our existing unit or suggest a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DEAA0919-9688-4157-B73D-F53E998C64FF.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

I'm afraid we don't have an exact match for the handle color in your pictures. In my opinion, the "clay" color option is the closest color match to your original handle. Look it over and see if you agree. 

Thanks Emily - after some additional research, I believe the color I'm looking for is Coppertone.

Can you identify the Part Number for the operator controller arms usually associated with this type of crank handle?

I now believe a defective controller unit may be what caused the crank handle to break. So, I may need both.

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Emily

Sure! We'd just like to see a photo of your operator with the window open so that the arms that move the sash are fully visible. That'll help us identify what type of operator you have. 

Attached pic of our Operator ... Let me know should you need a different angle ...
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you very much for this photo, that's a huge help. You have one of two operators: either the 39-253LB or the 39-438B. These operators are identical in nearly all respects except for the guide at the end of the arm. You'll note that they use different styles. For a more detailed breakdown of what I mean, I recommend watching the video below. This should explain everything.

Considering the design of these operators, you could also consider our 39-375 or 39-451 cover/handle combos.

Thanks Emily - Video was very informative; nicely done. Just to confirm, would your suggested Operator's arms be interchangeable with the my existing cover/handles or should they only be purchased as a matched set? Similarly, would the suggested 39-375 cover/handles be interchangeable with my existing Operator's arms?

Profile picture of Emily

As long as your old cover is removable then you should be able to reuse it just fine. Some older covers are fixed to the base of the operator and can't be removed, so that's something to watch for. Otherwise, you can go with either of the two I recommended. The only difference between them is style so it's just a matter of which one you think looks nicer.

My Dual Arm Operator has the white cover over the gear mechanisms. This internal gear covering lies underneath the external aesthetic cover that matches the crank handles. It also provides the adhesions for the external aesthetic covers to stick to. None of the pictures of your units seem to include this. Is it just not shown or reused when replacing the gear mechanisms (Arm Operator)?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

As mentioned above, your old cover is likely fixed to the base of the operator and cannot be removed. If that's the case then you can consider our 39-451 cover set, which Emily mentioned back in July. This is sold separately.

Tom Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same apples.

My Operators have a white internal cover over the gears as shown in the pic that is then covered by the external (aesthetic) color coordinating cover that matches the crank handles. Please confirm that is what you intended as well. Thanks for your patience
Profile picture of Tom

I've never heard of that before. The way it usually works is you just have the cover and then the operator base underneath. If that is not how your operator functions then it is very, very unique. Can you show me a photo of this interior cover?

Attaching photo containing our matching crank handle & external cover as well as view of the internal (white) cover. Not sure at this point whether the white internal cover is removable or attached to the operator?

My previous post to you is a pic of similar item from a different vendor web-page.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E90280E9-A637-4D1E-8CF7-1D25264D396E.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Wow! You weren't kidding. That really is a cover put on top of another cover. I've never seen such a thing. I would wager that the internal cover on your setup is not removable, though. That's probably why someone put an exterior cover over top of it instead of just replacing it entirely.

All of our operators only work the way I described, unfortunately. We do not sell any cover that can go on top of another cover; in each case they would be too small. They are all only meant to go on a bare, open operator base like you see for the 39-253LB and 39-438B.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.