Viking window channel balances

A home owner from Pleasant Hill, CA says:
I'm looking for channel replacements for old Viking hung windows. One window shows 2810 while the other window which looks to be the same size has 2630. Other markings include 26 3 BS COLDWELL.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15671867549715467451572802386266.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15671868100734681467406708962296.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

For the balance you're showing in your photos, our S395-29 should be compatible with this. Take a look and see if you agree. If so, then you can go with a 2810 option. You also mentioned having the same type of balance marked with "26 3". Confirm the metal length measurement of that balance to measure 27". If everything looks good and match up, then you can go with S395-27 with a 2630 option. Please review both parts mentioned and see if these are a match. 

You are right. One window uses a 27" balance while the other one uses a 29" balance, but the two windows measure the same. The one that was using the 29" balance was the one where the balances were broken on both sides. Also, one balance was 2810 while the other one on the same window was 2820. The clips and the hole where the balance hook latches on measures the same on both windows. Do you think I should be using the 27" balance on both windows instead with the 2630 option? It almost seems like the original installation was done with whatever they had on hand that worked.
In looking at the window with the 29" balances and mismatched options, it appears that there were some repairs done at one point in time since the original installation because many parts don't look like the original that I see on the other window. I also need the top guide/cap that goes on the window. Which part number would that be? Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15676349573799103690370240732194.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I thought that might be an issue. Since you have two different sized balances in one window, we need to figure out which is the original. To do this, measure the height of the visible glass and add 1". For example, if your visible glass is 14", then you'd want a 15" balance. 

Since you have a 27" balance and a 29" balance between two identical windows, the visible glass height is going to be either 26" or 28".

As for the stamps, that's a simple matter of weighing the sash on a scale and cross-referencing that weight with one of the charts we show on each Series 395 store page. 

Finally, looking at your top sash guide, I recommend our 18-009.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.