Weathershield Wood Double Hung Window circa 1995

A quick learner from Texas says:
Long neglected garage window needs attention. The upper sash locking cam has dropped on one side. The wood window sashes are structurally sound but the balances probably need to be replaced. Weathershield no longer offers jamb kits on windows this old -- I did find the 1999 Weathershield tilt window parts catalogue online and the 20HD balance code means white part 980982.

What parts do I need to replace the side spring assemblies for the upper sash? Will the new parts fit into the existing vinyl side channels?

I was able to remove both sashes from the frame but wasn't confident in disassembling the sides to investigate further. The lower sash works properly.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks like an S751-21 Ribbed Channel Balance to me, with a stamp option of 20HD. Just make sure that your balance's shoe matches the one that comes attached by default to these balances (our 15-014). Let me know if it differs at all. The video below shows how to remove and replace this type of balance. 

A quick learner from Texas says:
Thank you. I'll place an order for the replacement S751s. Followup question: any advice on obtaining replacement vinyl jambliners without buying a full sash replacement kit?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

That can be tricky, as they need to be tailored exactly to your window, which is why it's hard to avoid appealing to the original manufacturer. If it's a wood window, a millwork might be able to set you up with replacements. Otherwise you might need to see if a local pro or hardware store could help you. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.