Widow balance

Quick Learner from Seattle
Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm
Hi!

I have some windows where the balance does stay attached to the sash. The springs in balance seems like they are still strong but the move up fairly slowly when the window is lifted. They also can shift above the sash. I tried replacing the sash cam occasionally. Should replacing the whole balance fix this? And if so what pet does this correspond to?

Balance is 5/8" x 1/2" x 17"
IMG_5711 IMG_5709
2 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Apr 30, 2024 11:02 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need to start by seeing both end fittings and the pulley clip of an intact balance removed from the window to compare to our inventory. 

Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by the balances staying attached to the sash? If the balances short up above the sash, that could be due to broken top sash guides, which are used to keep the balances in place below the sash. Take a look at the videos we've related on this page to assist you. 

May 3, 2024 12:55 am
The main issue is that the balance isn't staying attached to the window. It rises up slowly when you lift the window. When taking the window out and putting it back in, there doesn't seem to be a point where the balances re-engage as you slide the window down.
IMG_5726 IMG_5725
2 user uploaded images
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 8:05 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

It looks like the stamp code shown in your photo reads 1600. Unfortunately, we don't use this type of stamp code for our replacement non-tilt channel balances. Since your stamp code does not correspond to any of our replacements, we would need to confirm the exact weight of your window sash. 

Could you confirm if the photos show the original balance or a newer replacement? If it is a new replacement, may we see the original balance from another window? I'd also like to see the top sash guide removed from one of your windows with the original hardware. That will help us determine if the problem with your window could be from an incorrect replacement or possibly a damaged guide. 

May 6, 2024 10:53 pm
The window sash is 9lbs.

My guess is the balance is the original but I don't know for sure. All of the balances look like this (same stamp) although the ones on the other side of the house still work. I've had this place for about 15 years and haven't made any changes but It's possible the previous owners did.
IMG_5731
1 user uploaded images
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 7, 2024 10:57 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Your top sash guide resembles our 18-008H depending on how the dimensions below compare to yours.

Dimenisons for 18-008H
Dimenisons for 18-008H

Alternate view of 18-008H
Alternate view of 18-008H

As for your balance not staying with the sash, you could try wiping down the track with a cleaner and then applying a coat of Silicone spray before reinstalling the balances. If it doesn't help, we recommend our Series 395-17 side load balance with a 1-1/8" depth shoe and for a 9 lbs. sash, you'll need 1620 strength options for your new balances. You'll just need to confirm that your top fitting is winged with a non-winged bottom fitting as shown below. 

Close up view of the S395 balance top.
Close up view of the S395 balance top.

Close up view of the S395 balance shoe.
Close up view of the S395 balance shoe.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts