Old Window Balance for 1979 Condo

A home owner from Branford, CT says:
Hello-

I am needing to fix a spiral window balance on older double hung tilt windows on a condo I have purchased. The condo was built around 1979, and association has no clue of window manufacturer! I am hoping I can get the needed parts. The issue with the window is it slams down. I guess I need the balance itself and whatever holds that into place?

I am including a few pictures:

1. Removed the working balance so you can see it here
2. Measurement of diameter... looks like 3/8?
3. The balance in a working window
4. I found this one lonely half sticker of some AAMA certification, looks like there are some numbers there that may be helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looks like you have an Acorn 3300 Series single hung window. We may be able to help, but we need to see a complete, undamaged balance. I will also need the length of the tube and the color of the spiral nylon bearing. If you can't make out the color, please tell me the exact weight of the sash.
A home owner from Branford, CT says:
Hi there. That is the undamaged balance that was removed. I will work on getting the other information/pictures that you requested. Can you explain more exact weight of sash?
Profile picture of Paul

Oh, I see. In that case could we see a clearer picture of the bottom of the spiral tip? I can't quite make it out from that picture. I see a kind of bearing, which I assumed was something that had broken off, but if that's all there is I'd like to see it a little more clearly.

The sash is the square glass panel that you slide up and down to open and close the window. You will need to weigh that on a sash as precisely as you can and tell me what you get. Since this window is so old, there's a chance it's not made to come out. I'm not sure. You may need to place a scale on the sill and gently lower the sash on top. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

A home owner from Branford says:
Hi there. Sorry for the delay. Here are a few more pictures. Rod length is 29 inches. Windows don?t seem to open down so how do I find color bearing in spirall?

Thanks again for all your help with this.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 35769878-1FCC-4988-9841-79A20CD71043.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20FA40F9-6CF4-4C57-9D80-2098EF2B688B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0BD75E1C-D446-4521-A7EF-04F7680FCBBC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 262E59E9-F98D-4D1B-B165-20C6DFD00CD6.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you! No problem at all. This is an old discontinued Acorn Series 3300 window balance. I believe our S600-29 spiral balance with a Blue Tip can replace i t. I also recommend our 15-015 pivot shoe, 90-063 window lock, 26-040 pivot bar, and 26-171 tilt latches, if you need any of these other parts.

A quick learner from Branford CT says:
Great. Thank you Paul this is super helpful. Been such a tough time trying to locate parts!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.