Window Balance Recomendation

A landlord from Seattle, WA says:

I purchased and installed 11 single hung Milgard windows in June 1984 and March 1985 in Seattle, WA. I have replaced the balances in several of the windows at various times over the past 37 years and may have used incorrect balances in the past.

There are quite a few variations in the existing balances and I don't know which ones, if any, are original or correct. Several of the balances are broken. All need to be replaced. Seven of the windows have a mix of the following balances: 27D; 2740 D; 2740 CP. Two wider and heavier windows have a mix of the following balances: 25 5 BSI PN; 26 5 G19T CMC 1. 

What is strange is that these windows are the same height as the seven above. All are hard to close. A small kitchen sink window has the following balance: 1540 BSI BP; and one window slightly smaller than the first seven has a balance labeled 24 B. This last window is the only one that works well. Other working windows are difficult to close. The first 7 windows weigh 19 pounds each; the second two windows weigh 23.5 pounds each; I could not remove the kitchen sink window due to lack of take-out clips; the last window weighs 14.5 pounds. 

Some of the balance shoes and tops have wings and some do not. Some of the balance shoes have a built in pully but most do not. Identifiers on the window spacers themselves are difficult to read but look like: A-L-I AP 1 G A June 1, 1984 and March 15, 1985. Payment dates coincide with the window purchases as 6/16/84 and 3/28/85 respectively.I have submitted pictures, but, again, I have no idea which of these is from the original window purchase. All seemed to have worked at one time or another.Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.--Dean 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20221010_130127540.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20221010_130152067.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20221010_130157102.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20221010_132055948.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20221010_134648744.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Dean. I'm not sure how much help we can be for this project in its current state. Right now I'm in the same boat as you: I have no idea what balances are meant to go in these windows and there isn't really enough of a pattern to go by to make a confident judgment. Milgard has used an absolute ton of different balance assemblies on their windows in the past, including the two types you show in your photos, so that won't let us narrow it down, either.

The best I can offer you is my best guess for the length of each balance, and, jumping off of that, the proper spring calibration in each case. However the Series (combination of nylon fittings and general configuration) is not something I can even guess at, due to how many different models you have in the house right now.

To get started on size, I would like you to list the height of the visible glass for each sash that you're working on. This isn't the overall height of the sash, just the visible glass.

Thank you, Tom, for your reply. Here are the measurements (visible glass only) you requested:

Seven of the windows measure 28" in height; these each weigh 19 pounds.

Two of the windows measure 28" in height; these each weigh 23.5 pounds.

One window measures 25" in height; this window is 14.5 pounds.

One window measures 16" in height; this window weighs 10.5 pounds

Hope this is helpful.

--Dean
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Dean, 

Thank you for your patience as we approach the holiday season. Tom is out of the office this week but he will be back on Monday to review your information and get back to you with his recommendations. 

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the additional information, Dean. Based on the information given, I believe you need our Series 385 channel balance for all cases. This has the 19-005 top and 15-004 bottom nylon fitting and I believe this is the model your windows had when they were installed.

• For the 28" height, 19 pound sash, I recommend the S385-28 with a 2730 option.
  • For the 28" eight, 23.5 pound sash, I recommend the S385-28 with a 2740 option.
  • For the 25" height, 14.5 pound sash, I recommend the S385-25 with a 2420 option.
  • Lastly, for the 16" height, 10.5 pound sash, I recommend the S385-16 with a 1530 option.

Please let me know if you had any further questions about these assemblies. I would be happy to clarify on any point.

Thank you for all your help. Great customer service!! I have now ordered items per your recommendation. --Dean
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks so much! We appreciate it. Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance and I will do my best to help.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.