Window Channel Balance

A home owner from Sunnyvale, CA says:
I'm trying to figure out if the 26" S-380 is the right part. The fitting measurements match what's listed. My part is stamped as 254, and the metal part is about 25 1/2" long. Is the 26" S-380 2540 the right part?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The S380-26 will not work for you, unfortunately. We may still be able to help, but I think this has to be custom made due to the special length; 25-1/2" is not standard.

Before we go any further, I'd like some photos of your original balance just to be 100% sure. Custom made balances cannot be returned for a refund so I want to be positive that we get you the right part for the job. Specifically, I'd like to see a clear picture of the top fitting, bottom fitting, and the metal clip at the end of the cord. Finally, how many did you need?

Just the metal part is 25 5/8"

I'm having trouble uploading photos. Can I send via email?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, you can send photos to help@swisco.com and the customer service reps who monitor that inbox will make sure I get them.

Following up with this. Seems the problem was the size of the pictures in pixels, I resized and cropped them and then I could upload.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic6.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

These photos are a huge help, thanks! This makes a lot more sense now. What you have here is an extended-travel channel balance, which has to be a custom order. I recommend checking the length of the metal channel, too. It should be 25-5/8", not 25-1/2".

Before we can pull the trigger on this, can you just show me a photo of the metal hook at the end of the cord? That will allow me to determine exactly what configuration this is. Can you also tell me how many you needed?

Once I have that information, I will email you a custom order link and price quote that will let you place an order on our site.

Yes, the channel length is 25-5/8". I will want to replace 4 of the balances labeled "254DS 42" which are for what I guess are the heavier noise-insulated windows, and 8 of the ones labeled "254"
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pic7.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks again for the new information. That first stamp you gave is a little peculiar. It should read something more like 25DS42, not 254DS42. That first 4 is not normal.

Assuming that it does read 25DS42, then I will email you a purchase link and price quote for 4 of these. I will also send you a second purchase link for the 25-4 balance, which will have the same exact design other than the stamp and spring tension.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.