Window Channel Balance

A quick learner from Texas says:
I have a very old aluminum window with 3/8"x25" channel balance with a "T" connection that needs to be replaced. I don't know how to get the window out of the frame and can't find a video of how to replace this part. Can you help?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There are a couple possibilities that come to mind, but I can't be sure without seeing your balance removed from the window first. If you have a "T" shaped bottom shoe, though, then it should be simple enough. Raise the sash a few inches, then tilt it in. From there, pop out one side, then the other.

If that doesn't help, show us pictures of the balance and sash installed and we will try to do our best to offer a suggestion.
A quick learner from Texas says:
The balance is round (3/8") and 25" long. There is a spiral piece of metal that goes up into the tube with a t shape at the bottom. See picture
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Thanks for the picture. I think our S400-25 is our best match. This balance has a 3/8" diameter tube, and I would also recommend the Red Tip.
A quick learner from Arlington says:
Thanks for the info on the replacement. But I can't figure out how to get the window out of the frame to replace the part. Can you help me understand how to replace the spring? Here are a few pics of the frame.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. You have the kind of sash that is not meant to be repaired. I know that sounds crazy, but they do exist and they are just as frustrating to deal with as they sound. Fortunately, I have a method that should work for you.

First, lift the sash up and have a helper hold it up for you while you unhook the bottom of the balance from the sash clip. You can use needle nose pliers to do this, or even a charging tool like our 75-005. Do this for both sides, then lower the sash and unscrew the balance at the top. With both ends disconnected, you should be able to pull it out from the top.

To install new balances, you will simply have to reverse the process. However, you will also need to charge the balance before you attach it to the bottom sash clip. I recommend about three clockwise turns, that should be enough. You should feel the tension building. If that's not enough, though, then it's safe to do another turn.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.