Window Coil Balance

A home owner from Brooklyn, New York says:
Good afternoon. I have two window sashs requiring the coil balance replaced. One sash weights 13.6 lbs and the other weights 15.6 lbs. I couldn't find any identifying marking either on the housing or the coil spring. I measure my housing and it is slightly smaller than than the S161 and S210. My housing dimensions are 1/2" x 1 1/4" x 2 3/8". I prefer to replace the complete housing & coil as one but is it possible to replace the coil spring (will need to know the correct spring) and reuse the housing? If so, how does the spring stay in the housing? Much appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8171D19C-7137-4BB6-9D2E-A352C04329DD.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3E7C5EEC-AB38-4AE7-8145-8E241DDBF5BF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look and compare the 15-087 housing pivot, which uses the S180 coil springs and other related items from the product page, to your original hardware. 

For your smaller sash, I would recommend using one of the S180-7 coils on each side and two of the S180-4 on each side to support your larger sash. Thanks for posting!  

Casey, good afternoon. Thank you for the quick reply. I'll order them right away. Just a follow-up question, does the coil spring need to be secure in the coil housing pivot? If so, how is it secured?

Thanks,
David
Casey, should I be using the S180-7 (each side) for the larger sash (15.6 lbs) and S180-6 (each side) for the smaller sash (13.6 lbs)? Wouldn't the S180-4 be too small as two will only hold/support 8 lbs? Can you confirm?

Thank you.
David
Profile picture of Casey

See the diagram below that shows how the coil is held inside the 15-087 housing pivot and anchor to the top of the window using the 16-024 mounting bracket. 

As for your strength options, I recommended you use four of the S180-4 coils, two on each side, because they will support a total of 16 pounds. This would be sufficient for your 15.6-pound sash. 

Two of the S180-7, one on each side, will support 14 pounds. This will work for your 13.6-pound sash since the supported weight should be within one pound of the actual sash weight. Hopefully, this clarifies things for you. 

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

Casey, good morning. Thank you for the clarification, I understand now. Last question, does both of the coil spring 'hooks' to the mounting bracket top hook? I'm placing the order this morning and want to be ready when the parts arrive.

Thank you so much for your help.

David
Profile picture of Casey

Yes, both coils would attach to the mounting bracket. Let us know if you have any other questions once your order arrives. 

Thank you Casey. Will do.
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.