Window Repair

A quick learner from Richmond Hill, GA says:
Hi, So glad I found SWISCO! I have vinyl windows that use the 770 balance with option 34E and the 15-129 pivot shoe. The windows are about 17 years old and it appears the vinyl/plastic has aged enough to break in many places. When looking at another window to plan my work one of the little sliders (to release for tilting) on top broke right off. Anyway I definitely have a broken pivot block. The block is stuck down at the bottom with the balance cable having retracted all the way up. I can not even raise the window for fear of breaking something else. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, and for your patience during this busy season. Everyone's trying to finish their last minute house projects before the holidays!

If I understand your post, it sounds like the pivot shoe broke and jammed in the track. This is always a tricky situation, since the severity of the jam depends entirely on how the shoe broke, so it's different every time. That said your first step should be to apply WD-40 around the broken part and see if that helps convince it to move up the track. Most of the time that's all it takes.

If that doesn't work, then the next step would be to get some photos of the problem area. That may give me a better idea of what kind of damage we're dealing with and I can advise accordingly.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.