IMG_1574
1 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 22, 2020 7:31 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

This looks like a pivot shoe for a Series 795 balance. Did you just need the shoe? If so, see our 15-195. This should replace your original without issue. The video below shows you how they pop on and off the balance.

Home Owner from Texas
Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm
How many are on a window? Two per window? We don't usually open the windows. I feel like it wasn't due to wear and tear. Did these fail due to age? The house is 13 years old. I can't believe the guy doing the windows did anything but raise the window. Why would it just break? Just asking to determine how many to buy.

Thanks!
Linda
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 23, 2020 8:11 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

There are always two balances per sash; one on either side. If your window has two operating sashes (top sash and bottom sash) then there would be four balances per window. Not all windows have an operating top sash, though. Just something to keep in mind.

If these shoes seemed to just break randomly when you opened the window, then that's probably due to an old balance spring. Balances like this have a lifespan of around 10-15 years. If your house is 13 years old then they're probably on their last leg. When they get old, the springs get weaker and stop functioning properly. That means when you go to open and close the window, the full weight of the sash is bearing down on these "T" shaped shoes without any counter-balance support from the spring. Over time they can't handle the strain and snap as you see here.

With that analysis in mind, I think you should consider purchasing new Series 795 balances. You could get away with just buying new 15-195 pivot shoes, but they'd probably break the same way after a few years. It's up to you.

Home Owner from Texas
Apr 27, 2020 3:25 pm
What do you mean when you say if the window has 2 operating sashes (top sash and bottom sash)? The bottom window opens. What are you saying the top window does? Ours does not pull down if that is what you mean. Just trying to decide if I need 2 or 4 per window.

Thanks.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 27, 2020 3:26 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

The top sash does open on many different kinds of windows, yes. Like I said, though, not all windows have an operable sash. If yours doesn't open then don't worry about it.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts