Window balance

A quick learner says:
I have a window balance where the aluminum shaft is 24 inches in height 5/8 inches in width the spring inside the shaft is 13 inches last the string is at the least 36 inches in length. The mechanism in the window shaft has no way of coming out so I guess that would need to be cut out. Let me know if you can offer any help with this type of balance. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like you have our S770-24 channel balance. Look it over and see what you think.

As for the pivot shoe, you may need to make a cutout if none exists already. See the video below for more information on how this can be done.

A quick learner says:
I cut a pivot shoe out and it is 7/8 inches in width and 1 7/8 inches in length. The other sliver thing is screw into the bottom of the window sash. It looks okay but if you need the measurements here they are. They are 3 inches in length and 5/16 in width and at the end that goes in the pivot shoe it's 3/8 inches wide.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the update! This pivot shoe appears to be different than the one shown in your first post. Is this from a different window, or the same window? The reason I ask is that pivot shoes should be symmetrical in one window. If they're mixed and matched we may need to figure out what you were originally supposed to have.

Assuming this is a different type of window with symmetrical shoes, then I'm confident we can replace this one. Start by looking at our 15-179. This appears to have the same design, though it's 15/16" wide and 9/16" thick. Height doesn't matter. Look over the width and thickness and see if they match yours. Plus, this should be fully compatible with your current pivot bar (the long silver piece you show next to your pivot shoe).

A quick learner says:
Sorry the first one I sent was from a different window and the one I just sent was right out of the window where the balances have the strings. The only question I have is that the new ones have metal on one end and the old one was plastic. So if there is no difference I'll probably place the order. Also, does that silver piece look good to you? I haven't looked at all the windows so do you have a replacement for that as I might want a couple of them. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure what you mean when you mention the metal on the end. Are you referring to the "teeth" at the top that hold the balance spring? If so, it doesn't matter if they're metal or plastic. The size of the pivot shoe itself is more important.

Your pivot bar appears to be in good condition. I see no reason why you need to replace it.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.