Window balance

A contractor from Oregon says:
I have an old window which does not have counter weights and no pocket in which to install them. The window is 36"w x 31 7/8"h and is 1 1/2" thick. It weighs 27 lb.
I want to install something to counter balance the weight of the window.
Would a spiral balance or channel balance be suitable? If so can you suggest a suitable product?

Thanks,
Michael
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Michael. Is this a wood window? If so, you may be able to use our Series 500 spiral balance along with a bracket like our 17-012. We've been using this balance for older wood windows for decades. Based on your window size and weight, I would recommend S500-30, which is 30" long, and a Blue Tip color option for sashes weighing 21 through 31 pounds. You will also need a 75-004 tool to install. Here is the process we recommend:

First, you want to drop them down either side of the sash from the top. Use a screw like our 33-017 to attach the balance tubes at the top, then have someone hold the sash up while you attach the 17-012 bracket on bottom with a screw like our 33-090, while the U-shape opening corrals the spiral. With your finger, bring the spiral up to the bracket and attach the 75-004 tool to its tip, then turn the spiral clock wise three times. Finally, hook it to the fork of the 17-012 bracket. Repeat this for the the other side. If the sash creeps down, give the spiral another turn or two.
OK Paul. Thanks for the info. I will order the parts and give it a go. I got the height and width of the window reversed when I wrote the original post. The side is actually 35.5". Should I order a 35" balance?

Yes, it is a wood window. The sash doesn't have any groove or channel to take the balance, so I guess I will need to route one in each side. Will a 5/8" router bit be sufficient?

Thanks again,
Michael
Profile picture of Paul
Sure, Michael, I'm happy to help. With this new info in mind, I recommend an S500-35 red tip balance. A 5/8" router will certainly work for the balance pocket.
I have completed this project and it went well. The 5/8 channel routed into the window sash worked smoothly and the window is now moving up and down with ease and remaining in place when partly open. The only variation I made in your instructions was that I needed to give the spiral about twelve turns to get enough tension to hold the weight.

Thanks to you and Swisco for excellent service and advice.
Profile picture of Paul
It was our pleasure. We appreciate your business, it means a lot to us. If you ever need anything else, we're always here to help.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.