Window spiral balance replacement

A quick learner from Altoona Iowa says:
I'm liking for a window balance or spring replacement. I have attached a picture of the lake indentifying the vinal 2 pane window as a Series 710 from "MFR: PHP-62". Do you have a replacement part for this window?

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1526386772983833773160.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15263868053271351923492.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help you identify the right spiral balance for your window, but we'll need a little more information. We'll need the diameter of the metal casing under the white plastic and the length of the tubing not including the spiral mechanism. 

If you can also tell what color the tip of the balance is, we should be able to recommend a replacement for you. 

A quick learner from Altoona Iowa says:
Casey,

Thanks for the response. It will be this evening after work before I am able to measure everything. I'm not sure if I have balance tips. If I do not, should I remove the operable part of the window and weigh it?

Thank you,

John
A quick learner from Altoona, Iowa says:

Casey,

The diameter of the tube is 3/8 in. The length of the tube is 29 in. There is no tip on the end of the window balance. what other tools and parts (like what part does the spring go into) do I need.

Thank you.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1526434925773245540996.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks! I recommend our S900-29 spiral balance, assuming this window tilts in. Since you don't have a color tip to use as a reference, you'll have to weigh your sash on a scale to confirm the proper option. As for tools, you may find our 75-006 helpful.

The sash appears to be about 5/8 in. wide. Do I still need the 3/8 in. tube or should I go with the 5/8 in. Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm a little confused. The sash is the square window panel that you slide up and down to open and close the window. What you want to measure is the balance, not the sash. 

If the outer tube of the balance is 5/8", then we recommend our Series 600. If it's 3/8", we recommend our Series 900.

Sorry, what I'm referring to is the opening that the sash slides up and down in.

The only reason I ask is that I'm wondering if the windows were not built correctly.

Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom

Are you referring to the track where the original balances installed? I can't say for sure if your windows were installed correctly or not. I figure if your old balances were 3/8" diameter and worked fine for as long as they've been installed, then you're okay sticking with that size.

You are right, I was referring to the track where the original balances were installed. I'll order the 3/8" diameter balances and see how they hold up. Thanks.
When I replaced the spiral balances I found that the Pivot Bars are rusty. One broke off and I cannot loosen the screws to determine the correct replacement part.

Do you have any suggestions on how to remove stuck, rusty screws?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

Your best bet is to soak the rusty metal in WD40 or another anti-corrosive oil. That should loosen it up. If it doesn't, you'd have to drill the old screw out of place.

I was able to remove the old pivot bar, that work with a Spiral Balance (Series 900) window. WD-40 did not work. I also tried a rust acid converter, but that also did not work. I finally drilled out the screws in the old pivot bar. What was left of the pivot bar is a bunch of rust flakes and a larger piece stuck in the vinyl around the glass. It slides somewhat freely, but it will not come out. I'm inclined to leave it in there and place another pivot bar in the window. As a result, I don't have a picture to show you.

Do you have any suggestions on how to pick a replacement pivot bar based on dimensions? For example, what is the important dimension and can I just drill new holes in the vinyl window without a problem. Also, what is your return policy if I purchase multiple pivot bars and return the ones that don't fit? Thank you.
I also recently found the original paperwork for our manufactured home. I believe the windows are a Philips Products 700 Series Vinyl Window. It appears Philips Products closed in June 2009. I'm hoping that knowing the model number may help.

Thanks again.
One more question, if you are able to make a recommendation on a pivot bar, with the information given, would you also please provides recommendation on the type of screw needed? Thank you.
Here are a few more photos. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, the Phillips company out of Indiana that made your window went out out business at the turn of the new century. For your rusted pivot bar, soak the screws with WD-40 for an hour or two and try to remove them, like Ben suggested. 

We no longer have Phillips pivot bar but I believe you can get our 26-089 and cut down the tip by 1/2". The holes will line up to your sash. The replacement screws will be our 33-096.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.