Window balances - Identifying

Quick Learner
Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I?m a contractor but is trying to identify the proper replacement balances for two different PGT single hung windows. I?ve attached some pictures with the imprinted part numbers and some

4 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jun 22, 2018 8:11 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi, welcome to SWISCO! There are two separate issues here I'd like to set aside.

First, these photos don't fully show the top attachment. It looks like it may have plastic wings, but I'm not sure enough to guess. Can you confirm this? If so, choose Series 395.

I see that you already ordered some of these parts. If you want to confirm them, you can go through my instructions below. Feel free to ignore this explanation if you're confident.

The second issue to tackle is this: the lengths of these channels would normally be 24" (S395-24) and 30" (S395-30), based on the spring codes printed on the channel. In the photos, it looks like you started measuring the length close to the tip of the plastic, but the measurement we need is just the metal channel by itself. Re-measure and confirm: Is "2390" 24 inches in length? Is "29 5" 30 inches?

Oh, and actually, there's one more thing: "29 5" is a spring code that turned into "2950" in our system, but (for lack of a shorter explanation) "2390" fell out of use. Because "2390" is not used anymore, you need to get the window sash weight to choose the right code. You can weigh and consult the chart on the S395-24 webpage. The "2350" you chose holds 23 to 27 pound sashes.

Contractor from Prort St Lucie, FL
Jun 22, 2018 9:17 am
24 & 29 inched. Yes they top plastic pieces do have wings. I think they would be in the S395 series balances, after looking around your website extensively last night.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Awesome. This is Series 395. Based on your stamps, I would recommend the S395-24 and S395-30 that you ordered.

Contractor from Prort St Lucie, FL
Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm
Ben, thanks. I spent quite a bit of time on your website last night after I had submitted that question and figured most of it out myself by reading other comments. Thanks
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts