Window coil covers

A home owner from Antioch, IL USA says:
Simonton h-r25-48x80 single hung series 40-17 window coil covers are sun damaged and deteriorating. At least 8 need replacement, and 2 or more coils may have been damaged by forcing the windows open and/or shut. what parts should i order?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Covers.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need to see your coil balance assembly fully removed from the window to determine which cover is compatible with your hardware. We'll relate a few videos to assist you. Thank you!

A home owner from Antioch, IL USA says:
do you need to see one in good working order, one that doesn't need replacement?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Seeing undamaged hardware is always preferable than seeing damaged hardware, but in the case of coil balances there's a little more wiggle room.

To add onto Casey's request, what we really need to see at this point is the pivot shoe. That will be a huge help and allow us to find a coil cover that's compatible with everything else you have in this window. I think it would also be best if you remove one of the coils and measure the width of the metal band; we don't need to see a photo of it, we just need you to measure it and tell us what you get. It should be something like 1/2", 3/8", etc.

I'm very confident we have what you need, we just need those two pieces of information to pick the right part for the job.

A quick learner says:
i am ready to start the process of the above window repairs. Is there a spreader kit (the simonton website shows a set of thick hard plastic spreaders) for opening the track to remove and insert the pieces we need to replace? if so, do i order those here from this site? and where on this site can i find them?
Profile picture of Casey

We do offer the 75-069 jamb spreader set but we only recommend these for contractors who do these types of repairs regularly since they are quite expensive and not eligible to be returned. 

For homeowners, we recommend following the video below to create cutouts so that you can access your hardware to replace it in the future.

A quick learner says:
our tracks have a cutout in them (see attachment) - i think that with modifying one side of the original cutout a bit i may be able to do the job without significant modifications, that would be my preference. do these windows often come with the pictured cutouts? also, here are the pictures of the triple coil w covers. we have some double coil also, can you tell what those parts would be for replacement without me removing those as well?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9726.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9725.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9724.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9723.JPG
Profile picture of Casey

Cutouts are generally made after the windows are installed when the hardware needs to be replaced. As long as the window already has cutouts, you should be good to go. 

As for the hardware shown in your photos, take a look and compare the specifications of the 15-199 pivot shoe to yours, which use either the Series 160 or Series 165 coils depending on the width of your original springs. Once you determine the correct coils, there should be numbers stamped on the double and triple coils that will tell you the corresponding strength options for your replacements. 

A quick learner says:
the numbers stamped on the double and triple coils are worn off for the most part. any suggestions?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9727.JPG
A quick learner says:
i found one that is legible, these should all be the same as the triple coil windows are the same size. also, some of mechanisms on the top of the sashes that allows us to tilt the windows inwards (see photo) are disintegrating as well. three of them are malfunctioning. can those be replaced as well?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9728.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9729.JPG
Profile picture of Casey

Great, then you would need either the S160-4 or S165-4 for your triple coil systems, depending on the width of the originals. 

As for your tilt latches, I would recommend starting by comparing the specifications shown on the 26-243 and 26-244 product pages to an undamaged latch removed from the window. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.