Window crank with extension pole

A quick learner from Carlsbad says:
Hello - just want to make sure I am ordering the correct parts. I would like to install the 39-336 universal joint with pole ring so that I can open and shut window from many feet below with a pole. My question involves the 39-157 4 inch crank extension. I assume that one end be inserted into the window crank mechanism and the other into the universal joint - but in looking at the photos, it doesn't look like the ends will mesh. Hope I am wrong so I can order these!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Yes, the 39-336 and 39-157 are related and I believe they do mesh together well.
A quick learner says:
Just want to make sure that we don't need two universal joints per crank extension - one on either end. thanks
Profile picture of Paul
I honestly can't say, it would depend on what kind of setup it is you're going for. I'm not sure if the angle of the skylight would be too awkward the way it is now.
A home owner from Carlsbad says:
OK - let me ask this in yet one other way: Does the crank extender fit directly into the window gear or do you have to have a universal joint on both ends of the extender?
Profile picture of Paul
Ah, I see. Yes, the 39-157 attaches right to the operator.
are you sure? look at the female side of the 39-157. It has a hole with a bar across it. It seems to fit on the pinion in the window assembly, it would have to have a meshing gear like pattern - like you see on the female end of the universal joint
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm positive. The 39-157 has an 11/32" diameter hole meant to fit over an 11/32" diameter operator spline. The bar you mention is simply the set screw, which is used to secure it in place. The 39-336 has a similar 11/32" hole, also with a set screw. Each hole functions the same way.

There are other parts that can be used with this hardware, as you can see in the diagram below, but like I mentioned it would depend on what kind of setup you're going for. I'm afraid I cannot say what you will need as I am not familiar with your window.
Diagram of the pole ring system.
Diagram of the pole ring system.
Excellent! Thanks so much. Just want to make sure before I order a bunch of stuff.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.