Window handle for Marvin Windows, installed in 1984; Pozzi's installed in 1990

A quick learner from California says:
I am rehabbing some well-used window operators by replacing the dual arm operators and a few tracks and detachable clips and short clips.

When it comes to the new operators I understand that I can get the clip on handles. Neat!

But I'm cleaning up the older ones where the nylon part on the dual arm is still in good shape, but the dirt and grime over the years has built up and sometimes certain family members put a lot of strain on the handles. Or they try to use them when the screw might have come out, and then they slip on the gear bore I think it's called) . The stripping happens to the handles sooner than that bore part of the whole operator.

So, can these clip on handles work on the older post or must I find someone who sells the old screw fastened in handles?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

It really depends on what you have. Some newer crank handles work fine on older operators, but it depends on the diameter of the spline and the type of operator you're working with. If you can send us pictures, we'll tell you exactly what you need. 

Here are three pictures.
One is the spline which seems to me to be exactly 5/16, not quite 3/8, but it's hard to measure the diameter of cylindrical spline when you don't have a circular template to insert it into!
Second is the whole reason that I also need to replace several of the entire operator systems - the little nylon wheel gets chewed up from years of use, hot sun on the w. side of our house. WHY DON'T THE MANUFACTURERS MAKE THAT WITH A REPLACEABLE UNIT THINK OF THE METAL/MANUFACTURING/LABOR/SHIPPING/MEASURING AND INSTALLATION PROCESSES SAVED IF THE WHEEL COULD BE REPLACED!
Third is a photo of the style of cover we have, in white and brown throughout the house I am replacing a pozzi, a Marvin from about 2000 and then a few Marvins from 1983.

Thank you on your replies for the handles. We have lost the set screws on some, and messed up others, or they've just disappeared!

I will order the apparatus' when I order handles,
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 03007E14-8AC8-4BAC-8626-8503FB816AF6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 699B84ED-324E-422B-8DAC-F51D10BDBC94.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4AD493FA-8673-4B12-B57B-1F685A31ADEE.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the pictures. I believe this might be the 39-333 and 39-334 type dual-arm operators, with a short link arm. Look at the dimensions of the 39-333 below and compare to one of your old operators. Let me know if this matches what you need, or if anything differs. This type of operator uses the 39-114L Crank Handle and 39-107 Covers sold separately. They are coated in an electrostatic powder that is supposed to help against corrosion. Unfortunately, the rollers at the end of the straight arms are still nylon; but you may want to make sure you don't need a new track for them to run in--see if the 39-505 matches what you have. 

This is the most amazing service - clarity, additional info via videos, etc. I am absolutely delighted. In fact, I think I will share your company on NextDoor!!

So, you suggested I might need a new 39-505 track - what would indicate the need for a new track. They are metal, while not bright as they were when new, is there something on the underside that I don't know about?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the very kind words! We're always glad to help, and appreciate you spreading the word. As far as the track goes, basically if it's bent, rusty, or damaged in any way, it may be time to replace it to ensure the operator runs smoothly. Otherwise though, with these adjacent accessories to the operator, if they are not damaged there's really no need to replace them. Let us know if you ahve any other questions. 

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.