Window hardware

A home owner from Jasper, GA says:
House was built in 2006. Hardware -- like channel balance -- has failed on these double hung windows. Installation that builder used is no long in business and I can't find any part numbers. I have a repair guy whose good at this kind of repair but I'm not sure what parts are applicable for these windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190308_133645.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190308_133709.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190308_133623.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for reaching out to SWISCO. So I see you are showing us a number of things in your photos. I see a vent latch, a tilt latch, and a balance. We can help you with all of those parts. If you are just focused on getting the balance replaced, we will need to see some up close detailed photos of the entire balance, showing any nylon attachments that it may include. Next, please provide us with the metal length measurement of the balance. We can not tell the length from the measuring tape. If there should happen to be any stampings or markings on the balance, please make sure to provide us with that information as well. 

On my follow-up review based on your response, I'm guessing I've got a broken "ear" and string, see attached photos #2 and #4 respectively. Photo #1 shows 7 holes at one end of balance and #3 that "hook" (looks good) at one end of spring. Other info: balance is 35" long with makings of 34 7 BSI RK. Spring is 20.5" long. String is about 43" long but has a missing (broken) end. With the previously anomalies you noticed, along with this info, hopefully you can recommend what parts are needed to fix my windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window4.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the added photos. Just to clarify, the individual components of the balance are not sold separately, and you will have to replace the entire balance. I think we can help you do this, but we'll need a little more information to be able to help. Can you show us the entire balance, preferably an undamaged version, removed from the window? Can you show us another picture of the bottom attachment, and an you show us how the top of the balance connects to the window--is it screwed in or is there a hook at the end of the cord? Could you also show us the view of the metal channel's end profile? This should help us identify what you need.

Understand balance are as an assembly. I don't have an entire undamaged balance assembly to offer but hopefully the follow, with pictures will suffice. I'm attaching photos of the following: (1) bottom attachment (2) top attachment (string thru hole in L bracket with bracket held to side of frame with screw (3) channel end profile. I can now easily see why this hardware didn't work -- broken ears on nylon attachments, busted string, cracked tilt latch, etc. Hopefully you can now confirm the parts I need. Hopefully any replacements are being made better these days. I'm betting the contractor who built this went "cheap".
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom attachment .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top attahment.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the added photos. This looks like a S795-35 Channel Balance. This comes built-in with a 15-195 T-Lock Shoe, which is 1-1/4" wide and Closed Cam. Confirm your T-Lock shoe matches these specifications; if not, you may need to swap out the default shoe with the 15-194 1" shoe or the 15-195B 1-1/4" Open Cam shoe. See the video below for details.

Your stamp code of 34 7 is a little unusual for this type of balance. Could you obtain the weight of your window sash? You should be able to match that precise weight with one of the weight ranges listed with each stamp option on the product page. If your sash weight happens to fall outside these ranges, let us know and we will work something out for you. 

Sash weight is 32.5 lbs. Looks like we're at a point where you can recommend what I need to order to fix these windows.
Profile picture of Bob

OK, thanks for the sash weight. Again, it looks like you need the S795-35. It's good we checked the sash weight, because 32.5 lbs fell outside the weight ranges listed for this balance's existing stamp options. To solve this, we have gone ahead and added a new stamp option to the S795-35 product page, 35E, specifically to support your window sash's weight range. However, because it's a new item, keep in mind that it's going to take 6 weeks for us to have these made up for you.

Again, you'll want to double-check to confirm your balance's T-Lock shoe matches the default one installed on the S795-35 (the 15-195). If not, you may need to swap it out with a different shoe. See my previous post for details. Let us know if you have any further questions.  

On your March 18 response, I can confirm that 1-1/4 dimension but I believe the T-Lock shoe is open -- but apparently not an issue based on your video. So it like these 15-195 Shoes aren't make to handle 32.5 lb sash and there those ears break? . . . and therefore reason you're going to 15-195E? I'm a bit confused re:your March 20 comment "You should be able to match that precise weight with one of the weight ranges listed with each stamp option on the product page." as I don't have a product page. Thx for your patience. I think we're almost there.
Profile picture of Bob

By product page, I mean the page for the S795-35. Click on the link, scroll down and you'll see a chart that lists weight ranges alongside each stamp option. The stamp options have nothing to do with the t-lock shoe. They indicate the strength of the spring inside the balance. It's crucial that the spring is calibrated precisely to fit the weight range your window sash falls into--you don't want it to be too strong, or too weak. Based on the sash weight you helpfully provided of 32.5 lbs, you will need to select a stamp option of 35E, which we have created to account for your heavier window sash.

The T-Lock shoes purely have to do with how the balance sits inside your jamb track, as well as the size of the pivot bar they accept. They pivot bar is the metal pin that connects the window sash to the shoe, allowing for the window to tilt. If you have an open cam, 1-1/4" T-Lock shoe, our 15-195B, then you will need to swap out the shoe that comes with the S795-35 with the 15-195B. See the video earlier in the discussion for details. 

Thx again. Based on our discussions, I need to order 35" Series 795 Channel Balance (Option 35E) and 1-1/4" T-Lock Balance Shoe, Open Cam (since balance comes with closed cam). Please confirm
Profile picture of Bob

The S795-35 is certainly correct. If you can see 'through' the cam of your T-Lock Shoe; if it has no 'back', then you need a 15-195B 1-1/4" Open Cam T-Lock Shoe. If not, the 15-195 that comes installed with the Series 795 is fine. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.