Window latch and channel balance guide

A quick learner from TN says:
Need a latch as you can see this is broken and probably the channel balance guide in the track as it seems stuck. If I open it's really hard to close without taking the window out and pushing the guide down. If I am able to get the window out, remove the channel guide/balance assembly, will I be able to replace the window and lock so it isn't open? Trying to find alternatives to replacing the whole window if possible. The label is not from the exact window but I assume they are all the same since they were installed in the house when built 20 years ago.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 870D1E3A-925C-482D-97E9-BDD818CA35A7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8FA3A9D5-1DC1-4179-80EE-F465A62CAF10.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 415737EF-8624-4C1F-9661-205AE64FF6DE.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You definitely don't need a whole window. We should be able to help with the parts in question. Start with our 26-243 and 26-244 tilt latch. These look similar to yours, but I recommend removing an undamaged version of your latch to use as a reference. You can then look over the dimensions we show for these latches to confirm if they line up.

I don't know what the balance guide might be. It could be a pivot shoe, but I'd have to see it to be sure.

Profile picture of Tom

That sounds like the channel balance, which means the guide you mentioned is definitely a pivot shoe. You should be able to remove the sash and put it back in safely. In fact, I may even know what you have, but I don't want to guess just yet. It's more of a sixth sense kind of thing. I recommend watching the video below for general instructions that you may find helpful.

Thanks Tom, I will try to get more pictures but maybe a little more detail will help... is the channel with cords on the side one assembly? It seems the cords are in a bind when shutting the window. At the top it's a metal track cover and held with a screw. I assume if I get the window out I can take that out. I've held out on doing that so I don't end up not being able to get the window back in. If that assembly comes out and I can get the window back in, I'll be glad to take a picture or get any numbers off of it.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I'm very confident that your balance is our Series 770, which means your pivot shoe will be a match for our 15-129. Look these parts over and see what you think.

We don't sell balance covers, unfortunately. As for the weatherstripping, I won't be able to ID it from that. I will need to see the end profile of an undamaged sample. It's important that we see its shape, which means it has to be undamaged. If anything is torn off or deteriorated away, we won't have enough to use as a reference.

Ok a little confidence, the video, and parts out. Here are some pics. The guide seems ok but the pĂ­vot shoes have seen better days. I'll need a right and left one. Also the weatherstrip still the bottom. Do they make a white channel balance cover too? Downstairs has them but upstairs do not.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7AA25757-7824-45A0-88A4-11AA30E3F681.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5945ED04-0E91-47B9-A295-6FE085488281.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A428FC30-8491-4FBE-9AFA-EC1D83E4AD4E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 49CE339A-8910-4602-B889-BC3DA3A15B86.jpeg
I'm not an artist but tried to get measurements on this piece. Please reference my elementary sketch and let me know your thoughts.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FB3CE2CB-3285-4A8B-B5AF-E516818A5E1D.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

This sketch is perfectly sufficient, don't worry. Based on these dimensions, I think our 15-167 pivot shoe would be a closer match than the one I recommended previously.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.