Window operator

A home owner from North Bellmore says:
Hi,
I need the entry code 31503 window operator. Your blog stated that in the past you used it 39?3801 window operator. I reviewed the dimensions and specs seem to be a bit off. I was wondering if you had a window operator that met my specs. The long handle is about 5 7/16" and the base it's about 4 7/16"

Do you have anything matching those dimensions. Thanks in advance.

Eliza
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 58157040-D2D9-4532-BAB2-D053B252AEC5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2AB6F42A-9817-44D0-950C-D7A6946D02DB.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Eliza! Take a look at our 39-381. I think you'll find this is a good replacement for your operator. Let me know what you think.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the message. I'm concerned that the long handle is too long and won't fit my window. Does it matter if it's a lot longer than the original part?

Thanks,
Eliza
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E37548ED-6807-4AC6-BCA7-8C91235DC048.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4A889FE8-6078-4AEF-B2C4-4332FB04B43B.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Eliza. When you say handle, could you be referring to the link arm?

I see what you mean now. Ours is a little longer. The bad news is that we don't have anything closer. The next smallest link arm we have in an operator in this style is our 39-035, but this arm is only 3-15/16" long.

Let's assume you go with the 39-381. In a worst case scenario, you could theoretically adjust the position of the bracket on the sash to which the 39-381 connects. You would just have to drill new holes for it to move it over. That might make up the difference.

If even that fails, then your only option left would be to swap the arms. You'd drill out the arms on the new and old operators, then install the old arm on the new operator with our 62-014. This would be hammered in place over a metal plate.

But that should be something you only have to do if all else fails. There's also a chance that our 39-381 can work fine as-is. If it ends up not working fine, then you do have those options.

Thanks Tom! That was very helpful info. I'll get the part and hope for the best. If not, I'll follow your instructions. Wish these things weren't so complicated....

Take care,
Eliza
Profile picture of Tom

Great, I'm happy to help! We appreciate your business, too, it means a lot. 

I know how you feel, there seem to be a ton of older operators that are seemingly identical, but their arms are off by just an inch or so. Sometimes the modern replacements work fine, but sometimes they don't. It's one of those things that you can't know for sure until you have it in the window to play around with.

If you run into any issues, let me know. I'll do my best to help as best as I can.

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.