Window parts

A home owner from Abingdon says:
Hello, I'm looking for some help on fixing two windows that I have. One window has a pivot bar that snapped due to rust. I can still open and close this window, but cannot tilt it as the one side of the window sash will come out. The second window has both pivot bars rusted through, so the window cannot stay open and when the tilt latches are open the window sash pops out. I'm trying to fix this myself. To fix this I think all I need are (3) of the correct pivot bars, some pivot lock shoes and the charging tool for tilt windows. The problem is I don't know which part to buy and my windows didn't seem to have any identifier part numbers. Another problem is I'm having a hard time trying to removed the rusted pivot bar from the window sash and the pivot lock shoe. Are there any methods or tricks I can use to remove it? Any help is very much appreciated. Respectfully, John
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Your pivot shoe looks a lot like our 15-212, however it's harder to say what can replace the pivot bar. The 15-212 is compatible with a few different types. I've made a list for you on the right hand side of this page to go over.

As for removing the old pivot bar, you will need plenty of WD-40. Based on your picture it seems like you can unsnap the bottom of the vinyl frame from the sash. If so, make sure to be very gentle as you carefully work it off. Once it's out, you can spray it over with WD-40 and let it soak, then try to pull it out.
A home owner from Abingdon, MD says:
Paul, thank you for getting back to me.

As for the pivot bar, it looks like the existing pivot bar has two screws that hold it in place. With that said should I order the 26-068 pivot bar or get both the 26-068 and 26-040 to see what fits better?

Respectfully,

John
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, John! It's up to you. If the screw spacing of the 26-068 lines up with what you have now, it very well may work.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.