Window spring balance

A quick learner from San Antonio, TX says:
Hi:
I need four replacement window spring balances for two General Aluminum 60 inch high by 36 inch wide windows.

Unsure of sash weight. The uninstalled balance is 30 inches long and 3/16 th inch diameter.

I would greatly appreciate your help in locating replacement balances for my windows.

Best regards,

James
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 53CE79D7-C76F-4D84-B01C-E2D88F7F8A8F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D7E6B623-BF3A-4EB8-B6B8-B99A58C55084.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 88547DEC-AC67-49A4-8A59-7C354223C267.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 55B149DA-13FF-48A2-9EDA-5D5B66720A5D.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Can you confirm the diameter of the outer tube? I've never known any balance to be as skinny as 3/16". The only two available sizes are our Series 400 at 3/8" and our Series 500 at 9/16". Make sure to only measure the diameter of the outer tube.

As for sash weight, you can usually use the color of the original nylon tip as a reference for what to pick. Yours is pretty discolored, though, so I'm not sure what it used to be. You will have to do your best to get an accurate sash weight, even if it means putting a scale on the window sill itself. It's not ideal but there's no other way to confirm that.

Hi Tom:

Sorry. Its 3/8th inch diameter. Quick learner, bad measurer.

Looks like sash weight is around 18 lbs. Picture below.

Best,

Jim
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3096.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Perfect, thanks so much, Jim. In that case it would be our S400-30 spiral balance. As for weight, both the Red Tip option (10 through 22 pounds) and Green Tip option (14 through 26 pounds) can carry your sash weight, so either one will work fine. I would personally go with Red but it's up to you.

You may also want to consider a 75-005 charging tool, which will make installation a lot easier.

Thanks ! Tom. Appreciate your awesome advice !

Jim
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.