Window springs

A handy person from Fredericksburg VA says:
Photos are of the left spring mounted and the right (broken) dismounted. The windiw is 36 x 30.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We appreciate your patience with us during our busy season. The parts you are showing is a 15-186 coil spring housing with a 15-182 bushing. These pieces go along with the Series 190 coil spring. Look these parts over to ensure they are compatible with your parts. You will need the stamped number on the spring when ordering the new coil. The pivot shoe that goes along with the coil series is the 15-180. To remove the shoe from your window, there should be a cut out in the window track so that this spring system can come out. Look over the media guides on this page for assistance. 

Thank you for the info. I cannot find a number on the coil. Here is a photo of the intact unit. All told I am going to need four springs. They do not appear to have a right/left version. The spring simply goes on the inside or outside track. The window is 30 x 30, not 30 x 36 as I initially said.
Will this be enough to order the springs? The mounting task appears straightforward.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yep, these don't come in left and right. Our hardware can work for either side. This new photo is indeed a big help. It confirms the hardware I recommended before: our 15-180 shoe, 15-186 housing and 15-182 bushing, along with our Series 190 spring.

Without a stamp on the old spring, I can't be sure what Series 190 option you need. I would check each spring you need to replace just to be sure. If none of them have a stamp, tell me the exact weight of your sash.

I have looked in detail at three springs and can find no numbers. The windows are 15 years old and contractor grade so they may not have had any.
The lower pane weighs 18 lbs 13 oz.
Can you tell me what I need to order and how to do it. I greatly appreciate your help.
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. With an 18 pound sash, we'll have to fudge the math a little. I recommend using two springs on each side of the sash instead of just one; specifically, I recommend using one S190-440 and one S190-540 on each side. These would stack on top of one another and be held in place using our 15-181 double clip (not the 15-186 we recommended before). 

The S190-440 carries 4 pounds, while the S190-540 carries 5 pounds. Working together they carry 9 pounds, so having these on each side will be perfect for your 18 pound sash.

Let me know what you think.

Sounds like a solution, but I have a question. Could I use your S140-9 unit. I am also going to double check the weight.
Profile picture of Paul

Yes, people with your type of balance system have changed over to S140 with no problem. They found it easier to install.

If this is a viable solution I prefer to go that way, especially since it looks like it will cost less. Please provide me a list of what parts I will need so I can order them I thank you both for working with me on this.
Profile picture of Paul

Our pleasure. You will need the S140-9 quik tilt balances in both left and right. Ad for your pivot, take a look at both the 26-398 and 26-405. Depending on the measurements will determine which one you will use as a replacement. 

Sorry to keep asking for more, but my window has no pivot. It?s like the 190 series. Where would this go? Does this mean I cannot use the S140?
You have been very helpful, but I need this one last piece. Since I have no pivot on my window, I need some direction as to how to proceed. I will see if I can find an appropriate video, but that?s not a sure thing. If I can?t use the 190 series, I guess I will have to go the ?double spring ? approach Tom suggested, but with two windows to do I will need 8 springs at $10 each, plus the other pieces. That puts me over $100!

Please help me finish this. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Hopefully I can clear things up.

You should still have pivot bars on your window. Both the 15-180 shoe you have now and the Series 140 balance system you're looking at use pivot bars. These are little metal posts sticking out of the bottom corners of your sash that fit inside the pivot shoe. I am 100% positive your window has them; it wouldn't work without 'em.

The only issue is that your current pivot bar won't fit in the new Series 140 shoe. There are only two pivot bars compatible with this new system: the 26-398 and 26-405. Which one will work for you? I can't say. These pivot bars aren't meant to work on your window, so there's no saying for sure. You'll have to carefully look over the measurements we show for each (especially the hole placement) to determine which, if either, will work.

If you look over our dimensions and find that neither of them will fit in the window, then you'll be better off sticking with the system you have now. Personally, I think you should do that anyway. The Series 140 may work great, but you never can tell what will happen in this industry. I'm a cautious kinda guy and I tend to always stick with whatever hardware was originally installed in the window for peace of mind. It's ultimately up to you!

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.