Windows are oversize vinyl part of an Alouette kit house from Canada

A handy person from Gloucester, MA 01930 says:

It appears that 3 out of 4 coils have broken in this set of two counterbalances. Sash weight is approximately 15-20 pounds (Guessing?) Windows may have been from any source even though it is suspected they were part of the pre-constructed Alouette home kit built in 2000.

Thanks,

Bill

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1596.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1597.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1598.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-1599.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

These appear to be either Series 160 1/2" thick Coil Balances, or Series 165 3/8" thick Coil Balances. Measure the thickness of your old springs to see which Series you need. If you're uncertain of the spring weights needed, give us the exact weight of the window sash and we'll work it out for you. 

Hi Bob, the picture shows the 1/2" I believe. The weight of the sash is approximately 25# so we would need the Series 160. Please confirm, and let me know how we should order the replacements and get instruction on how to install. I'm sure there is an easy way and several very hard ways... :o)

Thanks,

Bill
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Bill. I'm not entirely clear from the photo, as it can be misleading reading rulers from pictures. But if you're confident the springs are 1/2" thick, then the Series 160 is indeed correct.

I would confirm the exact sash weight to be safe, as you don't want to be off on that. A bathroom scale reading would suffice. If the sash is indeed 25 lbs, then you could use a S160-9 9 lb spring and S160-3 3.5 lb spring on both sides of the sash. This would give you 12.5 lbs of support on both sides, for a total of 25 lbs of support overall. For covers, you could use the 15-150D

I don't know what pivot shoe you had originally; if it's undamaged you could reuse it. Otherwise show me and I should be able to narrow that down for you. Finally, see the video below for removal and replacement details. 

Hi Bob, Thanks for making me confirm the exact weight which is 29 pounds. Shall I use a 10# + 4.5# on each side, or would you suggest two 7.5#? The pivot shoes seem to be ok. Let me know what part's I will need,

Thanks!

Bill
Profile picture of Bob

Either of these options would work for you, but since using one S160-10 and S160-4 on each side would add up to exactly 29 pounds, that would be your best option.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.