Windows spring balance

A contractor from Georgia says:
The house was built on 1985, the windows on the picture, the springs have some # 16 CP and other is 28 CP
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BC20863F-33C8-4C57-B7AB-A163940A4905.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I am afraid I can't really narrow down what you need from this photo and codes alone. Can you remove one of the balances from the window and show us a picture? From there, we may have more questions, depending on what type of balance you have. Either way we will do our best to narrow down what you need. Many thanks.

Windows springs balance found the # 16cp on it . Hope can help
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Can you show us closer pictures of the nylon fittings or attachments on either end of the balance? Can you also confirm the length of the metal channel, not including the fittings on either end? You show two different sized metal channels in your photos. Do both have the same stamp or do they differ? If they differ, please tell us the stamp code on each balance and we'll try and work out what you need. Many thanks.

Windows springs balance with #16CP , 28CP
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. First, please confirm that your balances' metal channels are 1/2" wide; let us know if they are not. 

Next, if the metal channel is 1/2" wide, confirm that both sets of metal channels, not including the nylon fittings at either end, are 17" long and 29" long, respectively. If so, for the 17" long set, it looks like you will need either our S351-17 or S390-17. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. Next, you'll have to choose a stamp option, which determines how strongly the balance is calibrated. While I can't say for sure, your stamp code of 16CP might conform to our stamp option of 1630, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 12 through 14 lbs. You may want to weigh the sash to confirm this is right. 

For the balances that are 29" long, see our S351-29 or S390-29. Again, the depth of the bottom nylon shoe will determine which one you want. In this case too, the stamp option of 28CP might be equivalent to our stamp option of 2830, which is for a sash in the weight range of 16 through 23 lbs. Once more, you might want to get the exact weighty of the sash to confirm this is the right stamp option. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hi bob, thank you for your help, I measured the channel is over 3/8 but less than 1/2 inches. I would like to know if I ordered today, how soon I will get them. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C1A8DFCE-68DB-41DA-9BA8-05D4EC53F76D.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Bob's not here, but I will do my best to advise you.

I can't tell if this is a 3/8" thick metal channel or 1/2" thick, either. Your metal channel looks a little bent up so you probably won't get a very accurate measurement. However, it is a very important one, so you need to try your best. If your metal channel is less than 1/2" then you might want something like the Series 800 instead.

This isn't something we can eyeball in a photo, unfortunately. You'll need to measure your balance as carefully as you can and use your best judgement. If you order the wrong size balance, it won't work. I've only ever seen 3/8" thick or 1/2" thick. Sometimes the 1/2" ones will measure 9/16" instead, but that's it. There isn't anything in between. It's only going to be one or the other.

We should have all balances mentioned in stock, so delivery time will depend on what shipping option you choose during checkout.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.