Coil Balance Repair

A home owner says:

Hi There,

I have 5 pics of same window. The initial problem was that window was heavy to lift up and would not stay open on its own. I replaced the old balances with new balance coil shown on the left in pics. Window was still a little heavy to open but managed to push it up but wouldn't go all the way up as I started to hear a rattling sound, resistance. But window did stay ajar on its own. 

I took out the top parts and it appears the right side of the window only has the one coil as shown in pic. Seems like it should be two coils! The left side has 2, although they too look like they will break soon. 

I live in Bermuda, but I can purchase parts and have them couriered in, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to repair the top part, should it be coil only or are they sold in sets. I also have another window, same problem, but in addition the top window will not close all the way up. Because the bottom sash/window was inoperable I was pushing the top sash down for air, but then it stayed open and I couldn't push it close. How is the upper sash repaired?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 80EDBB96-4A3F-4FFC-9D50-5CA32C3AEE5C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D11B0AB6-36E5-4400-8613-C7A00AF2520B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5D9EAAE4-52E6-4EED-B6F4-8CB53EDBA701.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DD9CCA6A-2232-4ADF-BD51-148D3D0A428C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3776842D-D3C0-4373-B9D6-E579DF4E7FE2.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. This is a tricky problem, but we can definitely solve it. I can tell you right off the bat that you should have the same number of springs on each side of the window. 

It also sounds like these springs aren't properly calibrated across the board. The best way to determine that is to weigh your sash on a scale to get the exact weight, and then divide that between how many springs support it, which in your case is four. That should be your first step before you do anything else.

So, say for example that your sash is 24 pounds, you would want four 6 pound springs. That would be our S190-640. Does that make sense?

Let me know if you have any questions.

A home owner says:
Thank you for your quick reply. My window is 30x50 tilt out and the sash weighs 13lbs,if i can believe my scale!
This might not be important but i found #832 etched on my old balances which i have replaced.
Ok so if im hearing you correctly, i shld go with four 4lb coils...??
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Having 832 etched on your old coils is definitely important. That tells me what the old calibration was, which was 8 pounds per spring.

That definitely solves the mystery of why your window never worked right. Having three (or presumably four, originally) 8 pound springs would be way, way too strong. It's a wonder you could even close your sash at all given all that tension.

Four 4 pound springs might also be too strong, though not by that much. It might work but your windows would still be difficult to close. You'd probably be better served using two 6 pound springs, which would be our S190-640. You would also need to get a new detent clip made for just one spring, instead of what you  have now which is made for two springs. See our 15-188.

Two S190-640's can carry 12 pounds, which should be sufficient for your 13 pound sash. You won't notice that extra missing pound. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.