Channel Balances & Take Out Clip Help

A quick learner from Ojai California says:

Hello, I have a couple of questions please:

1. The length of the metal on the balancer I am trying to change is 15, 3/4 " and I think I need the  S 380  but I was not sure whether we need to order a custom made balance with that length or use the 26". Could you please advise

2. The take out clip that is currently in place has a housing but I can not find the plastic housing on your site. I found the take out clip 16-002 part on the site but not the plastic housing. Could you please advise if you have it or if not where to get it from? Thanks, I am attaching photos for the balancer and the clip. cheers Osmat

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9340.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 25 5 stamped balance BSI
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3714.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2619.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1211.png
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We can replace this balance for you, but this in fact not the Series 380 or any of our standard balances; this actually will have to be custom made due to its unique design. Before we get started, we need to see a clear picture of the metal clip or hook at the end of the cord that comes out of the nylon shoe. Can you show us this clip? Also, how many balances do you need? From there, we can get this started for you.

I am afraid I'm not familiar with this plastic housing that carries your take-out clips. I'm going to check with one of my senior colleagues to see if he has any answers, and we'll get back to you on that as soon as we can as well. Thanks. 

A home owner from Ojai, CA says:
Thank you Bob, and here are more pictures for the metal clip at the end of the cord and the plastic housing area in the wall and when it is in place. I have 8 windows in the house for that size but will may be need 6 for now. i.e. 12 balancers. Thank you for all your help. Osmat
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2755.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6470.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1297.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2075.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4744.png
Profile picture of Bob

Thank you! I'm afraid these photos don't show us the clip we needed to see. It looks like the cord broke, which presumably allowed the clip to slip off. If you have an undamaged balance from the same window, or even an identical window, then you can use that as a reference.

As for the nylon housing for the take out clip, we weren't able to find a replacement for it. I think your only hope for these is to return to the window manufacturer. I'm sorry we cannot help on that front.

Hello Bob, here are the pictures for an unbroken balancer as you requested. Please let me know if you can custom make them. Thank you for all the help, Osmat
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0775.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1149.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1294.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7266.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7308.png
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Osmat. Thanks, that's exactly what we needed to see. I just sent you an email with a custom link to order (2) of these balances stamped 25-5. If you have any questions, or need a different amount, just let me know here in the discussion. Many thanks.

Thanks Bob, I need 4 please as I have two windows of that size to replace. Please note that the length is 25 5/8 and 2 other window balances of length 19.5/8 and additional 2 windows of length 13 5/8. And if you can please recommend where to buy the plastic housing clip, as I won't be able to add the clip without it the plastic house for it. 

And one more question please , Could I change just the one damaged balance instead of replacing the two sides per window? Thank you Osmat

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8427.png
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me, Osmat. Does the other pair of 25-5/8" balances also have a stamp code of 25-5? I am sending you a fresh custom link to order (4) of these balances, but be certain the stamp code is the same before placing the order. 

To do these other custom orders, I will need the stamp codes for the 19-5/8" and 13-5/8" balances as well. Also, please confirm that the nylon fittings and the metal hook at the end of the cord are the same for these other sized balances as well. If you're uncertain, please show us photos; these custom orders are non-refundable, so it's important to get all these details right. 

As far as the plastic housing, I'm afraid we cannot supply it. We believe it was made by whoever originally manufactured the windows. If possible, you will want to try and get in contact with them.

Hello Bob,
One pair has 25 5
One pair has 25 4
two pairs have 19 6
two pairs have 13 3
Please see attached photos
and I need 3 clips please and I do not know what to do yet with their housing as you will see from the photo, I need something to attach them. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you again for all the support, Osmat
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5010.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4777.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0128.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6470 2.png
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Osmat. So to confirm, you need (1) set of balances stamped 25-5, (1) set of balances stamped 25-4, (2) sets of balances stamped 19-6, and (2) sets of balances stamped 13-3, correct? The link I had previously sent you was for (2) sets of the 25-5, so please disregard it if that's what you don't need. 

Please be absolutely certain that these balances all have the same nylon fittings and that the style of the metal clip or hook at the end of the cord matches our 62-108. Again, these custom orders are non-refundable, so it's best to make sure this information is absolutely correct. 

As far as the housing for a take-out clip goes, what I suggest as a makeshift solution is to drill a screw into the window track above or below that hole, then let the head of the screw catch the balance as the take-out clips would. You'd need to remove the screws after doing this, and it's really just a temporary solution, but it will at least let you remove and replace the balances. 

Once you confirm the balances are all absolutely the same in style and configuration, I can get this started for you. Many thanks.

A quick learner from Ojai, California says:
Hello Bob,
Yes, please I need
(1) set of balances stamped 25-5, (1) set of balances stamped 25-4, (2) sets of balances stamped 19-6, and (1) set of balances stamped 13-3 with the style of the metal clip or hook at the end of the cord matches your 62-108, and 1 set of balances stamped 13.3 with the style of the meta clip as in the pictures below. Also please note that the bottom piece is not like the previous ones too. I thank you for your help and hope now we are all set. Osmat
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7331.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8309.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0656.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5749.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6967.png
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Osmat. Okay, if the balances below do indeed have the same nylon fittings and the 62-108 hook, then you need: 

• (1) Set of balances stamped 25-5, with the nylon fittings and the 62-108 hook as shown in your original photos. 
  • (1) Set of balances stamped 25-4, with the same configuration. 
  • (1) Set of balances stamped 19-6, with the same configuration. 
  • (1) Set of balances stamped 13-3, with the same configuration. 

I will forward this discussion to my product director so we can get all these balances quoted for you. Apologies for the delay in this, but since these custom balances are not refundable, it is absolutely best to be certain we know what you need; and without pictures of each set, it's important to confirm that these sets all absolutely have the same fittings and hooks. 

That leaves us with one final set of balances stamped 13-3, with the different nylon shoe you so below. This is a standard channel balance, either our S380-13 or S385-13. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement. Compare both with your old balance to see what matches best. This standard Series channel balance you can order through our shop page. 

One final point I believe I did not address earlier in this discussion: yes, it always best to replace both pairs of balances in a window. Pairing a new one with an old one can cause the new one to wear down faster, and in any event, when one balance fails, the other is likely not far behind. 

I will let you know as soon as I have these custom links ready for you. Many thanks. 

Profile picture of Bob

Okay, I have all four sets of custom balances quoted. I am sending you an email with four custom links to order each set. Again, we are working under the assumption that all four sets have the same nylon fittings and metal hook as shown in your initial photos. Your fifth and final set of balances is either our Series 380 or Series 385, as I explained in my previous post, and thus you can order them via our shop page. Let me know if you have any other questions. Many thanks.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.