broken coil balances

A home owner from St. Louis, MO says:

Greetings,

Broken coils on both sides of the lower sash of a bathroom window. It looks like there is 1 coil only per side. The problem I had so far was removing the parts. I pried one out but it broke. (as seen in picture 2 attached). The window rail, where the hardware is moving through, doesn't have a slot where the parts can be removed. I didn't find markings on any of the parts. The window pane is vinyl, 32" x 22" x 1.5", pretty standard, if it helps with the weight. If needed, I can weight it. Please let me know if you carry this type of hardware and if you have any suggestions on how to remove / install them. Thank you so much.

Emilian

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance coil (3).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance coil (2).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance coil (1).jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Your coil balance housing looks similar to our 15-087 coil housing pivot. Carefully review and compare the dimensions to those shown below to determine if this is the correct replacement. I am confident these are the replacement you'll need.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

The coil housing pivot is compatible with the Series 180 coil balance spring. To determine which spring is needed for your housing, you'll need to look for any stamps/marking on the metal coil. If there are no stamps/markings or they cannot be read and/or cross-referenced, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash. Then you'll take the sash weight and divide it by the total number of coils in the window.

The metal mounting bracket that secures the coil in the window channel is part 16-024.

Detail of 16-024
Detail of 16-024

For an idea on how to remove/install these balance assemblies, take a look at the video below from our Swisco YouTube channel.

A home owner from St. Louis, MO says:
Thank you for your response.
The window sash weighs 15 lb and has 2 coils, one on each side.
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for confirming. Since the window weighs 15lbs, you can go from using (2) coils to 1.

I recommend using the S180-8 along with the 15-087 coil housing pivot.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.