broken window parts

A handy person from Chesapeake, VA says:
I have two broken parts on my home windows that have been in my house since it was built in 2002. The two parts as follows:
1. At the top corner of the window that moves up/down, the broken part is the quick release cracked and is unusable.
2. At the bottom corner of the window that moves up/down, the broken part is the tab (probably the wrong name) at the bottom that allows the window to connect to the spring that aids in moving the window up and down.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you might need to replace your tilt latches and pivot bars. We can probably help you with both, but we will need to see undamaged versions of both parts out of the window. Dimensions would also be very useful. In the time being, you can see our tilt latch selection here and our pivot bars here.

You are absolutely correct, I have one tilt latch and two pivot bars that are broke. I looked at your pivot bars, none of them matched exactly the ones I have in our windows.
I would be happy to submit photos of the same parts but unbroken. However, you website is not allowing me to upload these photos. What are your restrictions on uploading photos in terms of file type and size? I have tried both JPEG (less than 200kb) and PNG (819KB). Your help is appreciated.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I apologize you are having trouble uploading photos to us. You may email your photos to help@swisco.com. Simply place your reference number somewhere on the email for us; D139292. 

SWISCO Help Team,

Reference D139292; Requesting help with broken window partsI have been communicating with your team on your website. One of your reps
gave me this email address since I am unable via your website to upload the
pictures of my window parts that I need to replace in one of our windows.

So, I am attaching the pictures for the two broken parts that I have for our
tilt in type windows. The broken window parts are as follows:

1. Tilt Latch
2. Pivot bar (2 pictures)
3. Label on the top of the window trim

The windows were installed when the house was built in 2002.

Each window has a "MW" on each locking latch.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Tilt_Latch.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Pivot Bar1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Pivot Bar2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window_Label.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for these photos, these are a huge help. Your tilt latch looks like it could be our 26-243. Look over our photos and dimensions and see what you think. The 26-244 would be the opposite side.

The pivot bar is a bit trickier. I don't think this is made anymore, but I believe that our 26-318 can be used as a substitute. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the part numbers and links. I have ordered both parts and a few spares.
How do I remove and replace the tilt latch please? There are no screws. Does snap out and in relatively easily or is there a special tool required?
Profile picture of Tom

Great, thank you for ordering with us! It means a lot to us.

As for replacement, these are very easy to pop in and out. In fact, we have a video that shows you exactly how we do it. I think you'll find it helpful.

Awesome, thanks for the video.
Tom, the pivot bar you provided the info on was a close match to the one in the pictures that I sent you, but it the broken one I had was different. Unfortunately I did not notice the pivot bars in our downstairs windows (round like the pictures I provided) are different than the pivot bars in our upstairs windows (where broken window resides). The broken pivot bar has a flat rectangular protrusion(both broken on this window) that goes into the female receptacle at the end of the spring in the inside edge of the window. So, I had to file down the round end to fit into the rectangular hole. However, the ends of the pivot bars that you recommended did closely matched the pictures I sent. Additionally, the length of the pivot bar you recommended was much shorter than the broken ones that I had in the window in question. This resulted in me having to drill new holes in the window to allow the pivot bar to fit.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you for getting back to us! I'm sorry to hear that you ran into trouble, but it sounds like you got it all worked out. 

You mentioned a flatter, more rectangular tip on your other pivot bars; could they have matched out 26-366? This is a similar style to the ones you showed us but with a blunter tip.

As for the overall length, I have heard of this issue once or twice in the past. It's not that common so I didn't think of it when you posted; you have my apologies for that. The good news is that your solution of drilling new holes appears to be what we've recommended in the past, so we wouldn't have suggested anything different.

If you run into any issues in the future, or if you have any other questions, we will do our best to help.

How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.