casement/awning window crank

A home owner from Ithaca, NY says:

Our 9"-arm window crank made by GETTY PHILA PA (with interior mark "R") appears identical to your 39-021 casement crank, although the track is 12", not 13. Our crank is mounted vertically on the left side of the frame of an awning window, rather than on a casement. The gearing in the crank housing seems to have worn enough so that the teeth do not engage the gear reliably and thus fail to move the arm. I assume that the only effective repair is to replace the entire crank. Is this also your advice? 

Additional information: The center hole to center hole distance for the mounting screws is 3 1/2"; the crank arm is 9" as noted above. 

Bud

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6717.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6720.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, our 39-021 and 39-022 operators look nearly identical to your original. That said, these are typically used on casement windows, not awning windows like yours. I suspect someone repaired your awning window in the past and these operators happened to be the only parts they had on hand. It happens all the time. If your hardware has been working fine all this time, though, then you should be okay sticking with the same style. I just thought it was important to point out in case you run into any future complications.

As for the length of the track, I don't think that will come into play. The only function of the track is to give the operator room to function. As long as you have room on the sash for the extra 1-1/2" on our 39-520 then I don't see that becoming an issue. 

Finally, concerning the actual issue you have with your operators, it definitely sounds like the gears have stripped out. Replacing the whole operator is your best bet.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a wood casement window crank
How to install a wood casement window crank
GUIDE
READ >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.