Failing Channel Balances

A quick learner from West Palm Beach says:
I have these failing channel balances, and would like to replace them, just so no one looses a finger in the window.
The balance failed, and let go from the part that attaches to the moving part of the window. I removed it and took some pictures of it as well as the one that is still on the window, and the window ID sticker (or something that might help identify the window.

I am afraid that I do not know how to attach a replacement because I cannot see in the channel...

So... how do I get a couple of these things here and in the channels?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Your window was made by General Aluminum Corp. out of Texas. You have builder's grade windows where the sashes are not removable. YTo further help you, I need to see the end of the spiral that attaches to the sash. In the meantime, here are some directions for you. Hopefully these help.

With someone helping you, you will need to drop the new balance in from the top of the sash, screw it in at the top, then let the spiral drop down. You will then raise the sash and, while someone holds the sash in the open position, spin the spiral up to the bottom of the sash. Finally, with our 75-004 tool, give the balance about three turns to charge it and lock it to the end into the sash clip.
A quick learner from West Palm says:
Paul, Thank you for your response.
I am sure that this will be painless, once I figure out the attachment to the sash thing.
I think the end of the spiral has separated from the spiral. Here are pictures of both ends of the spiral that I have removed.
I think that this is going to be of little help.
I think the end that you need to see is still in the channel.
How can I get the end out of the channel in this this non removable builders grade window?
Or can I get the other side out somehow?

What do you think?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
You will need to have someone to hold up the sash while you look under the sash. You will need to use needle nose pliers to unhook and pull down the the balance spiral. You might also need a flash light to see the end of the spiral.
A quick learner from West Palm beach says:
I Changed my mind, I am not a quick learner.
I have found the end of the spiral. which seems to be lodged in the sash. I was unable to pull it down with needle nose pliers. If I push down the spiral from the top of the sash will that dislodge the end piece? The end piece seems to be a tan or brown plastic thing. I fear I will destroy the thing, trying to get it out of there, if I have not already, leaving me with more trouble... included is a picture of the plastic part from the bottom. Thoughts?
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Looks like you have a bracket attached to the side of the sash like our 17-025. I also believe the balance is our 3/8" diameter Series 400 non tilt balance. This has one one pin which hooks into the 17-025 bracket. You can try pushing the spiral down or use a tool like our 75-004 or 75-005 to remove it. These tools hook into the hole at the very tip of the spiral.
A quick learner from West Palm says:
Ok, I got the spiral out, and now understand the construction, and how they work... but, I do not know if the hooks on the sash can be replaced? how is that done?

the length of the spiral tube is 30". what is the part number for the new ones that I need.
I will also need a pair of 24" spirals of the same diameter. what might their part numbers be?

and yes, I agree, the size is 3/8.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us. Are you referring to the clip that connects the balance to the sash? If so, that'd be our 17-025. Unfortunately these are not the easiest thing to replace on this kind of window but it is possible. You just have to try your best to remove the old one and install this from the bottom.
A quick learner from west palm says:
the length of the spiral tube is 30". what is the part number for the new ones that I need.
I will also need a pair of 24" spirals of the same diameter. what might their part numbers be?
Profile picture of Paul
I believe our Series 400 is the best place to start. If the tube is 30" long I'd recommend looking at the S400-30. Assuming your 24" balances are otherwise identical, see the S400-24.
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.