Replacement CMC channel balancers

A home owner from North Bend, Oregon says:
I have a huge house full of Milgard aluminum windows. Most are single hung, non-tilting. I have a client who sells Milgard windows and he came over to help me with some of the windows that are harder to open. He showed me how to take them apart and get to the balancers. He sprayed them with Tri-Flow and many are so much better now. However, he did say that my windows are quite old and would benefit from new balancers. So, the windows that we open a lot are of 2 sized grids. For the larger of the 2 windows, the balancer is stamped "20-4 CJ5 CMC 34". The smaller ones are stamped "15-2 F15 CMC 50". I would like to purchase some of these, along with some of the takeout clips (I have a couple of windows that are missing them).

So, my question is which ones I should buy from you? Which ones match? Second, I see that their are differing sash weight options....does this deal with how easy the window opens? I don't want a balancer that is so strong that it is difficult to open the window.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...and then I can order!
Mike G
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot identify what you have based on this information alone. Those stamps you gave me are not used to identify anything other than the spring strength. I recommend that you look at our Channel Balance Home Page and follow the steps in order to find the Series that best matches what you have.

Speaking of the spring strength, you only want the option that best matches your sash weight. In your case, I would go with the 21" long balance, 2040 option (for the 20-4 stamp) and the 16" long balance, 1520 option (for the 15-2 stamp). Stronger isn't always better, and in fact a spring that is too strong will prevent your window from closing. You can always weigh your sash on a scale to confirm exactly what will work best.
A home owner from North Bend, Oregon says:
Why are you recommending that each be 1 inch longer? Is that normal? Or is it just better to get an extra inch in the channel?
Profile picture of Tom
I don't believe our balances are 1" longer than yours. Based on your stamps of 20-4 and 15-2, your balances should be 21" and 16" long, respectively.
A quick learner from Oregon says:
I measured them based on your website instructions, which only measures the metal part and not the plastic ends. That measurement makes them 20 and 15 inches, as they are stamped. But maybe I order them from you based on their entire length? If so, no problem....I will just need to go back and measure again. Thanks for your responding to me. I appreciate it.

Mike Gordon
Profile picture of Tom
If your metal channels are, indeed, 20" and 15", then that's what you want. However you will need to weigh your sash on a scale to confirm the best option, since your old stamps won't correspond to what we have.

I'm not sure why your balances are sized the way they are. I wonder if they were cut down before they were installed originally.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.