how to remove my spiral bal bracket

A quick learner from Texas says:
I am pretty sure I have the Series 400 spiral balance. It looks like I have something like the 17-025 bracket, but how can I be sure? And how do I install it?It's screwed on to the side of the sash and I don't see how I can access those screws.

I can't figure out how to access my old balance brackets.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Accessing these brackets is actually kind of a huge project. I would triple check to make sure that yours are really broken; if they can be reused, reuse them! Otherwise, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

To get at your old bracket, you need to remove the sash. The problem is that your window sashes aren't designed to be removed. The window manufacturer specifically designed the window this way. I think their reasoning was that if anything broke, you'd just go to them and buy a new window. More money for them, I guess.

If you don't want to do that, though, then your only option is to take the window frame apart so that you can remove the sash. Once the sash is out, you can access the old bracket. That will let you confirm that the 17-025 is a match and will allow you to replace it when the time comes.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That is the only way.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.