my balance keeps falling!

A home owner from Hawaii says:
I have 2 windows that have counter balance problems. The channel balance falls from the window even though I followed the video. As I lift the window up- the channel balance falls. Do I need to change the whole part or just the guides w/ rivet parts. Please advise

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It doesn't sound like a problem with the balance. I think that you might have not push the 16-002 take-out clips back in the frame all the way. With the clips out, every time you raise the sash, you are disengaging the balance. Take a look to make sure that they are pushed in and let me know.
A quick learner from Hawaii says:
Follow-up discussion to Paul:

Regarding problem with counter balance falling when lifting window. I have followed the video to the tee including pushing in the take out clips. Please advise on the next course of action. I have included pictures of the worn out guides and stamped counter balance.

Mahalo! (Thanks)
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us, and for the detailed pictures! Now, this is a very strange situation. Looking at your top attachment, which is what would catch on the take-out clip, I don't see any kind of damage that would make it disengage every time. There's a bit of wear, sure, but nothing serious.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the problem could be. There are a few other explanations, still. How old are these balances? How secure is the hook at the end of the pulley string in the jamb? What kind of condition are your Top Sash Guides in? Are they cracked or broken at all?
Paul,

The counter balance and home are 13 years old and the hook assembly in the jamb is secure. I have no idea of the condition of the top sash guide, but believe this may be the root of my problems. I notice that when I lift my windows it seems to float either to the left or right and doesn't stop at the top (counter balance sometimes falls). The million dollar question is what next? I am assuming that I have to remove my window and the top sash guide and submit a pic. Please advise.

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Aha, I think we finally found the culprit! Yes, we will have to see that top sash guide to find a replacement. Alternatively, you can browse through our Top Sash Guide Section and see if maybe you can find yours there. If you were to submit another picture, we will also need to know some general dimensions.
A handy person from Hawaii says:
I am following up regarding problems with my single hung windows. I am providing pictures of the top sash guide. Please advise me on the part number so that I can address this nagging problem with my windows.

Thanks!
User submitted photos of a sash guide.
Profile picture of Paul
Hey, good to see you again. Take a look at our 18-172. Could this be a match?
18-172 is a match! Ordered and awaiting its delivery.

Thank you
The journey continues, apparently the original top sash guide is longer and thicker. The hole for the screw is off about an 1/8". Please advise on part number and process to order and return parts. I may have thrown away the original packaging and invoice. Pictures included.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry to hear that our 18-172 didn't work. I'm not sure if we have a closer match. I'll keep looking though. Could you just specify what the length is? I see you have two measurements, but I'm not sure which one I should be looking for.
The length of the top sash guide is 1 11/16". I am including updated measurements.

Thanks
User submitted diagrams of a sash guide.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for your patience. You know, I've looked all over for a possible replacement for this top sash guide, but the closest possible match I could come up with is our 18-008. I think you may be able to get this to work, but it will take some adjusting. You will have to find the right hole of the bottom three. Also, since it doesn't have a "T" on the top, the top of your sash won't look the same. Either way, take a look and let me know if you think you can use this.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.