non-tilt window balance

A quick learner from Florida says:
I have reviewed your non-tilt window balances in shop items. I believe the ones I will be ordering for replacement will be # 380 in 27"; BUT, I have questions.

First: the channel on the ones being removed measures 1/2" x 27 1/5" long. Does that equate to the 27" length?

Second: the only number/markings I find on the used balances is: "UB 28D". Does this help in determining the length and pound weight? If so what should I be looking for?

Third: once an order is placed, what is the normal delivery time and by what carrier?

Fourth: if #380 is correct, which I believe after viewing all images, is that item the contractor grade or an upgrade?

Thank you in advance; art.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Art. These are all good questions. The stamp of 28D corresponds to our 2840 option. However, this usually means that your metal channel should measure 29". Are you sure it's only 27" long? Does it look like it may have been cut down? If it is, in fact, 27", then you will need to weigh your sash and match it up to the options shown for the S380-27 in order to find the correct one.

All orders placed on our site are delivered by UPS. For a list of delivery time estimates, take a look at our Shipping Policy.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct. I remeasured the channel and it measures: 29"L x 1/2"W (on the open end). The stamp "UB 28D" is on each of the 4-balances I have removed. In addition to the balances, I am going to need the top sash guide; I identified 18-180 as the needed item from the measurements and photos on your site, does that sound correct?

It appears that I will be ordering parts:

380-29

for my project. Do balances have a projected life expectancy? If that sounds correct, let me know. art.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great! In that case, see our S380-29 with a 2840 option.

I can't really say what top sash guide you need. Top sash guides aren't determined by the balance, but by the sash itself. To know what you have, I'd have to see a picture of it. That said, if the 18-180 matches yours in both style and dimensions, I think it's a good bet.

These balances have a good life expectancy, but such a thing is always hard to judge. It really depends on how often they're used.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.