pacific industries latches

A home owner from San Jose CA says:
This appears to be a common problem with the old Pacific Industries window latches - they break easily. I have a houseful of vinyl single hung windows and, before Pacific went out of business, I had purchased a number of spares that have now all been used, so I am searching for an alternative solution. This morning, I ordered a pair of 26-089P latches to see if I could make those fit, but I wondered if you had a better solution - would a pair of 26-351 latches have been a better choice?
Bob
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Our 26-089P have been known to work on Pacific Industries windows, but you may need to drill a small hole for the lower inside screw, located on the side of the window near the top. I do not believe the 26-351 can work for you, its size is too different.
A home owner from San Jose CA says:
Paul,
The 26-089P latches are very close to providing a solution for my Pacific Industries windows, but they require an upper screw hole at 1 13/16" from the corner of the window, whereas the existing hole is at 1 7/8". This is the worst possible case as the holes would overlap, making drilling a second hole not possible. I did try to elongate the drilled hole in the 26-089P part, but the plastic is very hard and I didn't have much success. Do you have any suggestions/advice as, frankly, I feel a little bit stuck.
Robert
Profile picture of Paul
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm not sure if we have anything else that would be any closer. Do you think you could use a top mounted latch like 26-314? You will need to drill new holes for this, but it may be better than nothing. Also watch the video below; it's for a different kind of latch, initially, but the ultimate solution is more or less the same.
A home owner from San Jose, CA 95134 says:
Paul,
What a pity. The 26-089P is such a perfect replacement, apart from that 1/32" misalignment. I really can't think of a solution.
Top mounted latches are a possibility, as they are a little more flexible. However, the latch being replaced is 3/4" wide, and the absolute maximum width that can be accommodated is a shade under 7/8"(assuming 1/8" offset from the front edge of the latch body to the front edge of the tag), so that 26-314 are a little too wide at 29/32" and I would still have a problem with interference of the new screw hole with the existing screw hole. Do you have any latches that are narrower and require a new screw hole that is further away from the existing screw hole?
Bob Jackson
Profile picture of Paul
Okay, how about this: take a look at our 26-410 as a possible substitute. It is 13/16" wide, and the holes are spread out. Could this work for you?
A home owner from San Jose, CA 95134 says:
Paul,
Thanks very much. These do look like a potential back-up solution. I'm still searching for a "top and side" mounted version, like the original, but if I'm ultimately not successful, I'll try the 26-410 and "top-mounting".
Bob Jackson.
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.