replacement of channel balances

A handy person from delray beach, Fl says:
I moved into an apt. that had a single sash metal window that did not stay open. After a real struggle I was able to remove the window.

The window measurements are as follows.The frame is 36 inches wide and 61-1/2 inches high. The removed sash is 34-1/2 inches wide and 32 inches high. There were channel balances at each side of the frame which didn't seem to attach to anything but was secured at the top with some aluminum brackets. The balances were marked 3020 with a small D after the last 0 of 3020. The top guides and bottom guides were broken. The balances looked good , the springs were a little rusty but the cords on the pulley were in tact and operable. I ordered your guides, the take out clips and the rivets. and received them today. I installed every thing according to your replacement guide.

When I went to replace the channels I was shocked to find that there was no square hole in the jamb to insert the terminal clip . I did find a slit in the jamb for a take out clip but it measured 31 inches from the bottom of the jamb. The balance could not even fit under it. There also was an opening in the jamb which was 34 inches above the bottom which was covered with a sliding plastic insert.

I'm at a loss. Do you have any ideas? Was this the wrong channel which was installed 25 years ago? What to do.
User submitted pictures of window channel balance and attachments.
The first photo shows the slot in the jamb which I believe takes the Pan Am take out clip. The second photo shows the broken top and bottom guides which I removed from the balances. Th last photo shows the balance no. which reads 3020 and also shows thetop guide I replaced.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Hopefully we can figure this out for you. I think I might know what the issue is. The take out clip used for Pan Am windows is our 16-023. The first photo looks like this clip, but broken. The holes at 31" that you used to put our take out clip 16-002 in is where you install the channel balance hook.
A handy person from delray beach fl says:
Thanks Paul,

I was a little impatient since I didn't hear from you so I ordered (2) 16-023 clips like you suggested and the 18-042 top sash guides which I don't know if I really need.

I did figure that the terminal clip on the balance goes into the slot in the jamb. When I receive the order I will let you know how I made out.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.