s795 Hook.

A quick learner from usa says:
I need to order this part except that I need the top to have a hook instead of a screw hole. Can you customize a channel balance that switches the top to one with part 15-198?

Additional details: my current channel balance that I am replacing is an inverted block and tackle with a T- lock shoe that has a closed cam. The stamp says 33C. it is 34 inches long metal to metal. The T is 1 1/4 wide. The top of the balance hooks in rather than screws in. I would like to order just one at this time if that it possible.

Thanks,
Paige
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can custom make this balance for you, yes. Our minimum is 2, however, due to its custom nature. I hope that's okay.

One last detail: you said that your stamp is 33C and that the metal channel is 34" long. Can you confirm that? With a stamp of 33C, the metal channel should also be 33". 

If you are confident that 34" is correct, can you tell me the weight of the sash?

Here is a picture of me measuring the length. I don't know how to get the weight without taking the channel balance out and I would prefer not to do that. The pictures I took were after they had popped out so they were already out of the window. How necessary is the weight?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named channel balance length.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

It looks like you're measuring the whole balance, shoe and all. When you get the length, you only want to measure the metal channel. Do not count the top or bottom attachments. 

I will email you a purchase link and price quote under the assumption that your metal channel is 33" long, however please check that and tell me if I'm wrong or not. Custom balances cannot be returned for a refund so you don't want to guess.

I'm happy to make any changes if necessary. If your metal channel is indeed 34" and my eyes are just playing tricks on me, then you have to weigh the sash for me. I'm afraid there's no way around that. In that scenario we would need to recalculate the spring calibration which requires a precise weight. Like I said before, custom balances cannot be returned for a refund so we want to get everything right the first time. Estimations will simply not cut it.

If the stamp imprinted into the metal channel is 33C then doesn't that necessarily mean that the metal to metal length is 34"?
I know you are the expert- I just did alot of reading and my understanding was that the stamp number on an inverted block and channel balance is always an inch shorter than the metal to metal length. So It would make sense that my stamp says 33 and that I measured metal to metal at 34 inches. Just trying to understand.
Profile picture of Tom

I know it's confusing, but that's only the case for non-tilt channel balances. What you have here is a tilt window channel balance, which means the number printed on the channel is equal to its length.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all tilt channel balances, just some. You also have to take into account when a balance was made and who made it. But that's the window industry for you, they definitely go out of their way to make things confusing. If you think it's bad now, just try to train new hires to understand all this. There isn't enough aspirin in the world.

That's why we always, always recommend that customers simply just measure their balance instead of going by the stamp. The logic and method by which companies designates stamps change constantly, but the hard dimensions don't lie.

Which brings us back to your photo: I can see your tape measure and it starts at the bottom of the shoe, which is wrong. You don't want to include the T shaped shoe in your measurement, ONLY the metal channel. I recommend remeasuring the metal channel without including the T shoe and see what you get.

Thank you for that. I feel good that mine is 33 inches metal to metal (I looked at the pic again and it's clear that I am measuring the T-lock) and will go ahead and order through the link you sent.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, sounds good! Let me know if you had any other questions and I'd be happy to assist.

Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.