seeking help/parts for TG windows

A home owner from Springfield, IL says:
Hello & help:

I bought a house last year and have a big problem with 'falling' windows. They have a "TG" stamped/embossed on them, so I believe they are Thermal Guard vinyl, tilt windows. They get 'cock-eyed' in their tracks, and when you raise the bottom 1/2, the top falls down. I have maybe 14 windows in the house with this problem. I notice in the yellowpages that there really are no "window repair" contractors here. Can you help me? thanks - john b.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

Not exactly sure what you mean by your window sashes get 'cock-eyed' in their tracks, but it sounds like the problem is that your current window sash balances have failed.

Replacing your window balances is a job a home owner can handle. You first need to determine what type of balances are currently installed in your windows. You can compare your balances to the product pictures found in the SWISCO window sash balance catalog section.

Feel free to take some pictures of your current balance and submit them here for us to take a look at. We would be able to recommend a replacement balance series from looking at your pictures. To take pictures, remove a balance from your window and take a picture of both the top and bottom.

Now remember, the windows throughout your home will have different size balances depending on the size of the window (they all should be the same style though - as long as all the windows were purchased and installed at the same time by the same manufacture - but you should always double check before ordering).
A home owner from Springfield, IL says:
Thanks Paul,

the balances are the 5/8" spiral type, 17" long. in the garage I found a box with p/n 0336017 sent to the previous homeowner. box marked "Thermal Guard by Season-All", RED tips. I messed around with one window and (a) I am NOT handy, and (b) it's NOT a one man job as I see it. not sure what accessories i'll need yet. any suggestions?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Okay, lets get started by seeing what parts you need.

The replacement window balances for your windows is our Series 600. Each different sized window in your home will have a different sized balance. You need to measure the length of the metal tube for each window.

Also, take a look at the tip color of each window. They are probably all red, but still check each window to make sure. The color represents the strength of the spiral balance.

The pivot lock shoe would be another item you might need. Check your pivot lock shoes and if they are broken you will need to replace them. It likely that your shoe is the 15-070, but remove one of your shoes and compare it to the 15-070 product picture to be sure. Here is a discussion about how to remove and install pivot lock shoes.

The window handle may be our SWISCO 26-147. Your window locks may be our SWISCO 90-133L an 90-133R. The tilt bar may be our 26-356. Again, check your actual parts against the product pictures of these parts.

Here is a discussion about how to remove the window sash from your tilt window frame. Here is a guide on adjusting a tilt-window spiral balance.

If some of these parts do not match up or you want to be double check, feel free to submit some pictures of your hardware here for us to take a look at.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at