shoe replacement for a 28" Better Built (up & down) spiral rod.

A home owner from Nevada says:
I have removed the spiral rod. It's has a red tip. However it's not connected to any shoe which appears to be still in the window pane. Can I assume it's broken off since you sell the spiral with the shoe already attached? I'd probably have to find a way to fish the broken one out first, right? Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190824_180542(0)[1].jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Yes, Ron, that is exactly right. With the part still being installed in the window, there's no way for us to be able to make any kinds of suggestions or recommendations. Once you have removed the part, please get back to us with more information and photos, and we will go from there. Thank you. 

Hi Paul, well I have included a photo of the remains of the brake at the bottom of the spiral rod. Sorry it's so destroyed, they are tough to remove. It measures 1 15/16" X about 3/4". the most tell part is probably the metal clip at the top of the brake. I looked at your selections and thought this was close to the 15-012 or 16-001. neither of these appear to have the nylon plug with square molded into it. There is also a pic of the spiral rod that broke loose from the brake. I hope this helps. Thanks, Ron
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P8300090.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P8300091.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P8290089.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

I don't believe you have either our 15-012 or 16-001. Those are for non-tilt windows, but what you have here is a pivot shoe, which is exclusively used in tilt windows. This makes things a lot easier; non-tilt windows are a pain to deal with, but tilt windows are really simple.

Judging by your first photo of your balance, you likely have our Series 900. This has a 3/8" diameter outer tube. You may want to check just to be sure.

The bad news is, the Series 900 is compatible with a bunch of different pivot shoes. Not as many as we thought before, but still enough that I can't make a recommendation out of hand. We'll have to narrow it down just a bit more.

Do you have an undamaged version of this pivot shoe that we can see, perhaps from another window? Can you also tell me its width and thickness? You won't get those measurements from this broken piece, so I wouldn't try. Your best bet is to get an undamaged version to use as a reference. 

Please also refer to the video below for more information on how this kind of window works.

Hi Paul, thanks for your response! After reading your info on the 900 series pivot shoes it definitely made more sense and also looked much closer to the shoes I removed. Also, I had no idea that my window was actually a tilt out type. I've lived here for 4 years and had no idea that they had that feature. I Could have saved a lot of time removing them and actually sent you photos of a shoe that was not totally destroyed! I'm going with two new S900-28 spiral balances and a couple of 15-045 pivot shoes and charging tool. Thanks again for your patience. Since all homes in this track have the same windows, I will not hesitate to send them your way for replacement parts.
Regards,
Ron
Profile picture of Paul

Awesome, glad to hear it! We appreciate your business, Ron. Please let us know how it works out or if you had any questions, we'd be very happy to help out as best as we can.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.