single Hung spring coil replacement

A quick learner from Hawaii says:
I need to replace the single hung spring coil fixture for two single hung windows. I don't have the manufacture's name or the part number. I do have the patent number found on the spring coil housing. Patent: 5353548 and two photos showing the casing on both sides.

Each window has two spring coil casings and no notches on the inner frame to slide the casing out.
A customer submitted image of their coil balance system.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It looks like you have a setup using parts similar to our 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot, 16-024 Mounting Bracket, and Series 180 Coil Spring. Take a look at this hardware and let me know what you think.
A quick learner says:
It looks like the 15-087 coil housing pivot is identical to the one for my window. Two of the coil springs are broken on one window. Do I order the whole set (coil housing Pivot, mounting bracket and coil spring) or just the spring if that is the part broken?

I don't have the weight of the window but the window (moving part) is 20 1/2" high and 20 3/4" wide single pane. Does this help?

On the other window, only coil housing on one side will not go down the full length. I think it is the spring defect as well. What do you think?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you definitely need to replace the springs on either side, at the very least. You may not have to replace your shoe or bracket or anything else, but check them for wear just in case.

Do your springs have any numbers stamped on them? If so, let me know what they are. That will help me figure out exactly what Series 180 spring you have.
A quick learner says:
I wouldn't be able to tell since my windows will require vinyl Jamb Spreaders to remove the housing. The window (when removed) weighs about 8-9 lbs. on my scale if that helps.

If I purchase the set (housing and spring) will the spring come housed in the housing already? or do I have to take it apart and install the coil in the housing myself?

I may consider purchasing the vinyl Jamb spreader since I will need a pair and most likely need to fix more windows later. What do you think? Could I cut a piece of the vinyl to create a gap to remove the housing instead of using a spreader?

Thanks for all your help. This is becoming a very complex issue for me.

Lloyd
Profile picture of Tom
No number, no problem. I think with that sash weight you should consider our S180-4. These coil springs can hold 4 pounds each; two in your window should work together to carry the 8 pounds. Let me know what you think.

The 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot, however, does not come with a spring. The two pieces of hardware are only available separately. That said, you might be able to reuse yours if it's not damaged.
A quick learner says:
Thank you for responding back and giving me the details I needed before ordering my hardware.

I wonder if there is a way for me to cut slots in my frame to remove the housing instead of purchasing a spreader?

Profile picture of Tom
If you're unable to find any cut-out at all, take a look at this discussion which concerns the removal of pivot shoes, including the best method of cutting out a slot.
A home owner from Hawaii says:
Do you remove the coil balance from the mounting bracket before removing the coil housing?

Do I remove the mounting bracket when changing the coil balance in the housing?

What must you do to remove the coil balance from the mounting bracket if you leave the mounting bracket in place?

Lloyd
Profile picture of Tom
Take a look at our tutorial video on how to remove coil balances. This should give you a better idea of what you need to do.
The old coil balance has 6ja engraved on it. Does it mean it is a 6lb coil balance? I ordered the 4 lb. coil balances and wondered if it would be okay to replace it with the 4 lb on both sides? If not, I will order the 6 lb. Please advise.

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
If the window weighs 8 pounds like you said, then the S180-4 would be the best choice. Before you decide to go with the S180-6 instead, re-weigh your sash to make sure it isn't 12 pounds instead.
I just wanted to thank the entire SWISCO staff for their support and patience in making it possible for me to replace the coil balance to two of my windows. Without your parts and support I would've had to purchase two new windows. Wow!

Thank You Very Much!

Lloyd

Profile picture of Tom
That's great, Lloyd! I'm so glad everything worked out for you. We really appreciate your kind words, it made our day. Please let me know if you ever need help in the future. It would be our pleasure to help.
A home owner from Hawaii says:
I successfully installed s180-4s to two of my single hung windows. One of the windows work well and stays in an open position when opened. The other window will not stay open position but will slowly slide down and will not remain open at any position. What could be the problem and what is a possible remedy?

Profile picture of Tom
It sounds like the springs used aren't strong enough. What is the weight of the sash? How many springs are being used and what are the numbers printed on them?
A handy person from hawaii says:
The spring number is S180-4. The weight of the window is about 8 lbs. I replaced another similar window with two S180-4 springs and stays in an open position but does not feel as firm as two other single hung windows I have.

Would it work better with S180-6 springs?

Profile picture of Tom
Well, two S180-6 coils working together can hold a window sash weight of 12 pounds, but that's a lot heavier than yours and may not be what you want. Next down from that is our S180-5 spring; two of these can hold 10 pounds. Again, still pretty strong. I'm surprised two 4 pound springs didn't work. What is the exact weight of your sash? You say it's around 8 pounds, but is it over or under? Could it be closer to 9 pounds, do you think?
A handy person from Hawaii says:
It is hard to say what the problem is because the window opposite the inoperable one is the same window and I changed both coils with the same S180-4 coils and it works fine. I'm puzzled too.

On another note. When I recently removed the bottom hinge to remove the window (the bad one) and put it back on, the window would stay up and work fine for awhile but a few days later it didn't hold up again.

Profile picture of Tom
How about the pivot shoes themselves? What condition are they in? It's possible that they need to be replaced as well.
I changed everything except the mounting bracket. I will also try to weigh the windows again using a different scale to see if I can more accurately weigh the weight of the window. I will get back to you on that.

Thanks
According to my luggage scale, the window weighs 10 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, well there you go. The coil balances aren't strong enough. You would need the S180-5.

In the future, I highly recommend that you always double and triple check the weight of your windows.
Thank you!
A quick learner from hawaii says:
Is there an instruction video on how to reinstall the coil housing pivot? I am having difficulty keeping the mounting bracket hooked onto the coil balance and screwing the mounting bracket back into the wall.

I am working with a 16-024 mounting bracket, s-180-5 coil balance and a 15087 coil housing.

I am able to remove the coil housing pivot.

Profile picture of Tom
Check out our video on how to install a coil balance system and see if that helps.
A quick learner from hawaii says:
The video demonstrates how to remove the coil housing but not how to reinstall it. By trial and error I was able to figure out an installing process that works and makes it easy to reattach the 16024 mounting bracket and 15087 coil housing.

Follow the video on how to remove the coil housing and continue with the following steps:

1. remove the mounting bracket from the wall.
2. remove the coil housing as demonstrated in the video.
3. install the new coil spring into the housing.
4. insert the two hooks on the mounting bracket into the two holes on the coil spring and rest the mounting bracket on the coil housing. The mounting bracket will lock in place and not slip when reinstalling the coil housing.
5. replace the coil housing into the window frame and screw the mounting bracket. Easy as 1,2 3.

I hope you can have a video that shows these steps.

Thanks Swisco for having this online support.

Lloyd
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.