sliding door lock

A quick learner from USA says:
I wish to replace the sliding door lock shown in the pictures above with one with a key on it. Can you tell me which lock i need to buy please?
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If your existing handle set is working fine and you just want a keyed exterior, then check out our 82-306. If your hole spacing matches, then I think this would be a great place to start.
A quick learner says:
Tom, thanks for getting me started with this.

Since the latching prong is embedded in my existing door handle, (as shown in the left-most picture above), is there a replacement that also includes the latching prong? If not, should the 82-306 work on top of my current handle after drilling a hole for the lock tailpiece?

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Not sure what you mean when you say that the latching prong is embedded in handle. Do you mean the lock's hook? Is that broken? If so, you may have to replace the whole handle. If not, the 82-306 should still work. You would remove the existing outside handle and use the 82-306 in place of it.
A quick learner says:
Yes, i meant the lock's hook. It's sealed in the handle such that the key tailpiece will not fit into it. Can i use the 82-005 with the 82-306 for a completely new handle and lock?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I see what you mean. Yes, you can use these two together, you just may have to drill a hole in the door frame for the spindle to reach the lock.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)