Have I stripped out my spiral balance?

A home owner from Mandeville, La says:
Hello, My name is Greg. I purchased a couple 41" green tipped 3/8" spiral window balances from you about 2 years or so ago. I just now decided to change them on the window. I replaced the balance and the shoes. I got the window to hold it's position when it was raised all of the way. It would not hold itself up if only opened 6 or 8 inches.

I used the tool and attempted to tighten both sides up another 2 or 3 turns. This probably would have been about 30 or 35 turns total on each side. The balanced striped out. It unwound and would not stay if you turned it more than 6 or 8 turns.

I am assuming that they were wound to tight. My question is should I go up to the black tip or change to the other size spiral balance? I am not sure if there is enough room for the larger diameter balance. I am not sure of the weight of the window but it is about 42" X 45". Your advice would be appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, whoever designed a window this large to accept 3/8" tube balance did so incorrectly. You did strip the balance by too many turns.

All is not lost, however. Please send some photos of your window, track and shoe and I will try to help.

In the meantime, take a look at our 5/8" Series 600 spiral balances and see if you think you can replace the thin balance with one of them.
A quick learner from louisiana says:
It looks like it will be close but I think that the larger size will fit. Is the 2 options to either go to a stronger 3/8" or change to 5/8"? Is the green the strongest 3/8"? I also replaced ordered new shoes when I ordered the other balances. It was the Product Code: 15-121 that I used.

thanks....
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Check the thickness of old pivot shoe and compare it to our 1/2" thick 15-046 and our 9/16" thick 15-121.

In using the 3/8" balance, the green tip is stronger. If you were to go for the 5/8" Series 600, I would go with black tip.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.