spiral balance

A quick learner from Reisterstown, Md says:
My windows are 29 years old. In January I was able to order a 12" Series 600 Spiral Tilt Window Balances and pivot shoes. After a lot of struggling ( I'm only 5'1" tall). I was able to fix my bathroom window which was stuck open. Now I am having the same problem in another room. My balances are 17" on this window. I am not sure what color to order because the bottom of this window has red balances that are working and I can only see one side of the top balance which appears to be white or faded orange/ yellow. The guy who installed the windows 29 years ago was drunk so I can't verify that he used the right balances. Should the top balances match the bottom balances? Does it matter if I order the red for the top instead of the white? It's hard for me to remove the window from the sash so I prefer to do it once I have the parts. ( I could use longer arms and a taller body ). Got any suggestions other than removing the window and weighing it?
A quick learner from Reisterstown, Md says:
obviously you didn't read my entire message: Series 600 Spiral Tilt Window Balances are the balances I bought previously for my tilt windows all the windows in the house were installed at the same time. here is what I previously ordered for my other window and it worked:
Product Code Quantity Price/Ea Total

Pivot Shoe, 17/32" Thick 15-015 4 $1.44 $5.76
12" Series 600 Spiral Tilt Window Balance S600-12 2 $6.48 $12.96
option: white-tip

My order number was 849800. It was in January. The balances are the same width I just need a 17" balance for this window. does it matter if I use a red balance instead of a white? Should the bottom balnces match the top balnces in color?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For your new project, are the windows from the same company? If so, you can use a 15-015 pivot shoe, like you did before. The length of the window balance you are now working on is 17", with an orange or red tip. Go with S600-17 with a red tip for this. You will need to check the top sash for the correct length balance, because some manufacturers use different lengths between top and bottom sashes.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.