tilt controls for owens Corning fiberglass windows

A home owner from Fairfax, VA says:

we have a houseful of almost 30 year old Owens Corning windows, and most of the tilt/brake mechanisms don't function well anymore. The spiral slide have slipped down on a few, and when cleaning the windows tilted out, one side or the other will drop down. I'm hoping you'll have something that will help us out.

Kevin

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00383.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00384.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looks like you're in need of new pivot shoes. We should be able to help, but before I recommend anything I will need you to measure the thickness of the shoe and tell me what you get. You may also want to measure the width, but it should be 1-1/4". 

I highly recommend removing it from the window before you measure, just to be safe.

A home owner from Fairfax, VA says:
Tom, thanks. I finally got one out, and it's 5/8" thick, and yep 1 1/4" wide. I'm including a couple of pics, just in case.
Thanks for the quick response.
Kevin
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00387.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC00388.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! Right off the bat I think our 15-047 is a good option for you. This matches your dimensions exactly and has the same design. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is the cam size. Just eyeballing yours it seems to be pretty large, but it could just be a trick of the angle.

To simplify things, the size of the cam hole on the 15-047 is 3/16" x 5/16". It's designed to work with pivot bars like our 26-040, for example. This may be a detail you want to check before you buy anything just to be safe.

Assuming that I'm mistaken and you have a standard cam size, then I think our 15-047 would be a great fit for your window.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.