tilt window spiral balance repair

A handy person from Brooklyn NY 11231 says:
HI,

I have two tilting windows.

For the first, the four shoes seem to be broken, the spiral balances have disconnected from the broken shoes. The metal parts in the shoes are broken.

The balances are 5/8".with red tips. The top measures 29" and the bottom spiral balance measures 33" I've removed the lower window, one spiral balance and a shoe so far to get a good look. This tilting window measures 23.5"w x 34 Tall.

For the 2nd, again the spiral rods have disconnected from the shoes, which appear broken,Measurements are 5/8" and31" long, also red. Only the top tilting window needs fixing. This tilting window measures 30" w x 34" tall.

Anything I'm missing?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon! Thanks for posting. Based on your dimensions, it sounds like you have a Series 600 spiral balance. Please take a look and let me know if that looks about right.

However, just to be sure, I would like you to confirm the lengths of each balance. Please keep in mind that you must only measure the tube when determining the length; do not include the plastic tip and spiral protrusion in your measurements.

As for your broken pivot shoes, I'm not sure what you may have. Could you upload a few pictures of them for me to look at? Please make sure they are removed from the window before you do. I will also need to know their dimensions.
A handy person from Brooklyn NY 11231 says:
Hi Tom,

Yes, I have measured the spiral balances as you have specified. So I have 2 of each at...29", 31" and 33" for a total of six balances.

I've sent some photos of a pivot shoe and a 33" spiral balance end.

I think we're making good progress here!

David
A customer submitted photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, David! It looks like your shoe is 1-1/4" wide, and 1/2" thick. Can you confirm that? If so, I think our 15-046 could be a match. What do you think? You might also want to compare your cam hole measurements, as well, since yours seems a bit large. Here they are for the 15-046.
Detailed image of the pivot bar slot of the 15-046 pivot shoe.
Detailed image of the pivot bar slot of the 15-046 pivot shoe.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.