triple coil spring balance

A quick learner from cincinnati, oh says:
I'm trying to order a new coil balance. I know I need a triple coil but I don't know how to figure out what lb I need. How can I figure that out? Thank you.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Do know what kind or Series of coil balances you need? If not, can you remove the entire assembly from the window, including the pivot shoe, so we can see it? The identity of the pivot shoe tells us the identity of the coil balances needed. As far as the spring weights required, look for stamps on the coil springs themselves. If there are none, or you are uncertain, obtain the exact weight of your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the product page.

I pulled the entire mess of coils out. There is a #4.0 on there alongside the size of the sash 35". I weighed the sash on my kind of accurate scale. I think it's 19 or 20 lb. I did not see a series written on it but know it's a norandex window, if that helps. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1164B049-71E3-45AC-AE07-D1E9CC67121D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0C4F2F56-9FAD-4814-A996-B8ED1CC143D6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 161606A4-F576-4B29-8DF1-4307AB4EB0E5.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. This looks like a 15-199 Pivot Shoe, which uses either our Series 160 1/2" thick Coil Springs, or our Series 165 3/8" springs. Measure the thickness of your springs to confirm which you need. A #4 stamp would indicate you need 4 lb springs; but more importantly, if your window is between 19 and 20 lbs, you want an equal number of spring weights on either side of the sash, to match that that overall weight. If you could double-check that weight one last time, precisely as you can, we'll tell you what you need. Many thanks. 

We measured the shoe and it's a 1/2" thick. We weighed the sash multiple times and determined it is 19lbs.
Profile picture of Bob

Great. In your case then, I'd actually go for (2) of the S160-9 9 lb Coil Springs instead of whatever your old configuration was. You can use one of these on each side of the window sash, which totals 18 lbs of support. Being within 1 lb of the actual sash weight is fine. This should work for you--it should also prove to be a lot easier to install!

Profile picture of Bob

The actual number of coil springs you have on either side of the sash is not as important as the total weight the springs are designed to support. It appears you originally had some combination of spring weights on either side of the sash, including at least a few stamped '4' for 4 lbs of support. But if your window weighs 19 lbs exactly, it's more economical to just use (2) of the S160-9, one for reach side of the sash, because it will cover the same overall weight. Again, the actual number of coils doesn't really matter; matching that sash weight as closely as possible is. You'll just want to make sure you replace your old assemblies on both sides of the window sash with the S160-9

I should have mentioned: for a new housing, see our 15-150S Single Support. I should mention again that installing single coil spring systems is a lot less of a hassle than installing the triple supports you originally had. Hope this explanation makes more sense. 

I'm a tad confused. The part you mentioned is just a single coil. What about the plastic piece or housing that holds it? Also I don't need the other two coils that where with it? I attached what was previously in there which is broken and all of the springs have popped out and become uncoiled.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C6C470CB-BD8F-499F-8759-B1CD8A4F31CF.jpeg
Thank you for all your help! I ordered both parts for both sides of the window.
Profile picture of Bob

Great! Let us know if you need anything else, and thanks a lot for your business, we really appreciate it.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.