trying to find a video on what parts i need

A quick learner from Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida says:
Given the attached photos of my window type, is there a video that will tell me what parts I need and how to install so that the window stays open? Right now it closes after being opened unless propped up with a stick.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210802_153057.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210802_153052.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like you need a non-tilt window spiral balance. The bad news is that these are about a half million different configurations for this and they all work a little differently. There is no video or guide in general since they all need specific attention.

Before we go any further we need to figure out which one of the configurations you're working with. Please have someone hold the window up for you (or prop it up safely) and do your best to get me a clear photo of where the spiral balance connects to the sash at the bottom corners. That should tell me everything I need to know, hopefully, and we can work from there.

Thanks so much for your help. I uploaded 4 pics, 2 for each side of the sash - one showing the underside of the sash and the other showing the side of the window frame. One of my windows doesn't stay up and slowly closes - on that window, only one of the spirals is visible when the window is open. I have another window that closes quickly once it is opened; on that one both spirals are visible when the window is open so I imagine that the spirals are not supposed to be visible when the window is open?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210807_090838.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210807_090959.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210807_090923.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210807_090953.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

These pictures are a huge help, thanks so much! Thanks to these I was able to narrow it down to just two different products: either our Series 400 or Series 500. The only difference between them is that the Series 400 has a 3/8" diameter tube and the Series 500 has a 9/16" diameter tube, so you'll have to measure yours to confirm the best option.

I also recommend our 75-005 tool. These balances are very difficult to install usually, but this tool makes it a whole lot easier. You'll be glad you had it.

As for the spirals being visible, you definitely shouldn't see them. Based on your description of the problem it just sounds like the springs failed. Figure that these balances are only meant to last around 10-15 years so if your windows are approaching that age then that'd do it.

Thanks! Looks like I will get the recommended tool and the Series 400 balances. I know you said there is no video or guide but is there anything that shows how to replace them? I found one video (for the 'clipon' balance) but that just showed how to tighten them.
Profile picture of Tom

We have no video but I can walk you through it. Depending on the size of the window it'll either be really hard or really easy.

So, the first thing you have to understand about your windows is that they aren't meant to be repaired in any way, shape, or form. They're old, inexpensive aluminum setups that were mass-produced back in the day and meant to be replaced entirely if even a tiny part broke. You can't even take the sash out of the window without disassembling the whole frame.

The way to get around this is straightforward: have someone hold up the sash while you disconnect the spiral from the bottom and then unscrew it at the top. Once the balance is loose you have to gently pull it up and out from the top end of the sash.

Like I said before, this is going to be either very hard or very easy. It depends on the size difference between the top and bottom sash: if the top sash is the same size as the bottom sash then you'll have plenty of room to pull the spiral balance up and out. If the top sash is smaller than the bottom sash, though, then the spiral balance is going to hit the frame before you have enough clearance to get it out. Hopefully that's not the case since there isn't really a solution for that. You'll just have to cross your fingers that you have the needed clearance.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.