window latch assistance

A handy person from Laval, Quebec says:

I have a similar handle issue with numerous windows, they're all breaking, locking the windows. How do I remove and replace these handles? They seems to be glued or stuck. Vinyl Casement latch and handle US patent number: 5,620213, Cdn patent #: 2,142, 071

How to replace the Vinyl Casement latch and handle lock on a casement window, if You can't open the window! All my windows are locked shut and the handle locking mechanism is broken. What a crappy design!!! How do I open the windows to replace locking handle?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Aluminum window locking handle image patent # 5,62
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your window lock. Based on everything you forwarded over to us, I am leaning towards recommending our 38-207. Have a look and see if you believe this will work on your window. 

Another customer inquired about the same trouble you're currently facing. See what our experts advised them by reviewing that discussion here. Let us know if this information is helpful. 

Get back to us if any other questions or concerns come up. 

Manuela, thank you for your response. I guess this is one for the pro's to fix. Removing the handle wasn't enough. This will take some serious professionalism.
I finally found a way to remove the broken latches. Steve Rakoczy (SWISCO) mentioned I should "work it", it worked!I didn't know what he meant at first. I was aiming my long thin screwdriver downwards when I should have been aiming it upwards. I finally loosened the broken piece by jiggling it around and it swung open. Then I cranked the handle to open the window and removed the inner screwed broken part. Now I can order the replacement parts from SWISCO and reinstall myself. I saved myself at least $300.00 from calling a pro. Thanks guys.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken window handle.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0389.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0387.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0390.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

We are so happy to hear that everything worked out for you. I will be sure to let Steve know his advice helped you with your hardware! 

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.